Puts a human face on the study of Abnormal Psychology, now with DSM-5 coverage throughout.
Abnormal Psychology in a Changing World, 9/e uses first-person narratives from people struggling with psychological disorders as a pedagogical framework. Updated to reflect the revision of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual (DSM-5), the authors endeavor to bring research developments and advancements in abnormal psychology to students. Through illustrative case examples drawn from the authors' own experiences, they recognize there is a human dimension to the study of abnormal psychology.
The 9th edition includes coverage of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual (DSM-5), with updated text references and examples throughout.
MyPsychLab is an integral part of the Nevid / Rathus / Greene program. Key learning applications include MyPsychLab video series with new virtual case studies.
This text is available in a variety of formats – digital and print. Pearson offers its titles on the devices students love through Pearson’s MyLab products, CourseSmart, Amazon, and more. To learn more about our programs, pricing options and customization, click the Choices tab.
Teaching & Learning Experience
This program will provide a better teaching and learning experience - for you and your students. Here's how:
- Personalize Learning - MyPsychLab is an online homework, tutorial, and assessment program. It helps students prepare for class and instructor gauge individual and class performance.
- Explore Theory — Integrating Theoretical Perspectives — The authors examine the many different theoretical perspectives that inform contemporary understanding of abnormal psychology and help students integrate these diverse viewpoints in the Tying it Togetherfeature.
- Improve Critical Thinking — Controversies in Abnormal Psychology— Spotlighting controversies encourages students to think critically about these important issues and examine different points of view. The Controversies in Abnormal Psychology feature includes several critical thinking questions that challenge students to think further about the issues discussed in the text.
- Understand Diversity — Integrating Diversity — The authors examine abnormal behavior patterns in relation to factors of diversity such as ethnicity, culture, gender, sexual orientation, and socioeconomic status. Students need to understand how issues of diversity affect the conceptualization of abnormal behavior as well as the diagnosis and treatment of psychological disorders.
- Engage Students — A Closer Look— Provides opportunities for further exploration of selected topics that reflect contemporary issues and concerns. Many of these enable students to apply information in the text to their own lives.
- Support Instructors — A full set of supplements, including MyPsychLab, provides instructors with all the resources and support they need.
Table of Contents
Chapter 1: Introduction and Methods of Research
Chapter 2: Perspective on Abnormal Behavior and Methods of Treatment
Chapter 3: Classification and Assessment of Abnormal Behavior
Chapter 4: Stress, Psychological Factors, and Health
Chapter 5: Anxiety Disorders
Chapter 6: Dissociative and Somatoform Disorders
Chapter 7: Mood Disorders and Suicide
Chapter 8: Substance Abuse and Dependence
Chapter 9: Eating Disorders and Sleep Disorders
Chapter 10: Disorders Involving Gender and Sexuality
Chapter 11: Schizophrenia and Other Psychotic Disorders
Chapter 12: Personality Disorders and Impulse Control Disorders
Chapter 13: Abnormal Behavior in Childhood and Adolescence
Chapter 14: Cognitive Disorders and Disorders Related to Aging
Chapter 15: Abnormal Psychology and the Law
Purchase Info ?
With CourseSmart eTextbooks and eResources, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Once you have purchased your eTextbooks and added them to your CourseSmart bookshelf, you can access them anytime, anywhere.
Abnormal Psychology, CourseSmart eTextbook, 9th Edition
Format: Safari Book
$93.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-205-96836-7