This is the Safari online edition of the printed book.
While there are several books on programming for Mac OS X, Advanced Mac OS X Programming: The Big Nerd Ranch Guide is the only one that contains explanations of how to leverage the powerful underlying technologies. This book gets down to the real nitty-gritty. The third edition is updated for Mac OS X 10.5 and 10.6 and covers new technologies like DTrace, Instruments, Grand Central Dispatch, blocks, and NSOperation.
Table of Contents
1. C and Objective-C
2. The Compiler
4. Command-Line Programs
5. Exceptions, Error Handling, and Signals
8. Debugging with GDB
10. Performance Tuning
11. Files, Part I: I/O and Permissions
12. Files, Part II: Directories, File Systems, and Links
13. NSFileManager -- Cocoa and the File System
14. Network Programming with Sockets
16. kqueues and FSEvents
19. Using NSTask
22. Grand Central Dispatch
23. Accessing the Keychain
Format: Safari PTG
This publication is not currently for sale.