This best-selling text explores the meaning, necessity, and benefits of multicultural education–in a sociopolitical context–for students of all backgrounds.
Sonia Nieto and Patty Bode look at how personal, social, political, cultural, and educational factors affect the success or failure of students in today's classroom. Expanding upon the popular case-study approach, Affirming Diversity: The Sociopolitical Context of Multicultural Education examines the lives of real students who are affected by multicultural education, or the lack of it. This social justice view of multicultural education encourages teachers to work for social change in their classrooms, schools, and communities.
Table of Contents
Part 1: Setting the Stage
Chapter 1 Understanding the Sociopolitical context of Schooling
Chapter 2 Defining Multicultural Education for School Reform
Part 2: Developing a Conceptual Framework for Multicultural Education
Chapter 3 Racism, Discrimination, and Expectations of Students’ Achievement
Chapter 4 Structural and Organizational Issues in Classrooms and Schools
Chapter 5 Culture, Identity, and Learning
Chapter 6 Linguistic Diversity in U.S. Classrooms
Chapter 7 Understanding Student Learning and School Achievement
Part 3: Implications of Diversity for Teaching and Learning in a Multicultural Society
Chapter 8 Learning from Students
Chapter 9 Adapting Curriculum for Multicultural Classrooms
Chapter 10 Affirming Diversity: Implications for Teachers, Schools, and Families and Communities
This title is also sold in the various packages listed below. Before purchasing one of these packages, speak with your professor about which one will help you be successful in your course.
Package ISBN-13: 9780132958622
Includes this title packaged with:
- Casebook for Exploring Diversity, A, 4th Edition
George L. Redman, Angela Redman
$137.60 | Add to Cart
Digital Choices ?
MyLab & Mastering with Pearson eText is a complete digital substitute for a print value pack at a lower price.
With VitalSource eTextbooks, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Access your course materials on iPad, Android and Kindle devices with VitalSource Bookshelf, the textbook e-reader that helps you read, study and learn brilliantly. Features include:
- See all of your eTextbooks at a glance and access them instantly anywhere, anytime from your Bookshelf - no backpack required.
- Multiple ways to move between pages and sections including linked Table of Contents and Search make navigating eTextbooks a snap.
- Highlight text with one click in your choice of colors. Add notes to highlighted passages. Even subscribe to your classmates' and instructors' highlights and notes to view in your book.
- Scale images and text to any size with multi-level zoom without losing page clarity. Customize your page display and reading experience to create a personal learning experience that best suits you.
- Print only the pages you need within limits set by publisher
- Supports course materials that include rich media and interactivity like videos and quizzes
- Easily copy/paste text passages for homework and papers
- Supports assistive technologies for accessibility by vision and hearing impaired users
$47.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-13-299923-6
Loose Leaf Version ?
Books a la Carte are less-expensive, loose-leaf versions of the same textbook.
$113.07 | ISBN-13: 978-0-13-300795-4