This CourseSmart Sampler includes a selection of material from the full book for faculty to use in order to make a textbook selection for their course. If you need to see additional chapters before making a final decision, please contact your Pearson sales representative for a print copy.
Along These Lines prepares students for the demands of subsequent composition courses by providing thorough step-by-step instruction covering the writing process, grammar, and the basics of research.
John Sheridan Biays and Carol Wershoven know the value of constant reinforcement of the writing process. Each chapter guides students through the stages of prewriting, planning, drafting, revising, and proofreading. The authors' conversational tone and effective blend of activities, such as peer review, collaborative, and MyWritingLab (www.mywritinglab.com) exercises, keep students engaged in their learning.
Table of Contents
PART I: WRITING IN STAGES: THE PROCESS APPROACH
1. Writing a Paragraph
6. Comparison and Contrast
9. Cause and Effect
11. Writing an Essay
12. Different Essay Patterns
13. Writing from Reading
14. Using Research to Strengthen Essays
PART II: GRAMMAR FOR WRITERS
15. The Simple Sentence
16. Beyond the Simple Sentence: Coordination
17. Avoiding Run-On Sentences and Comma Splices
18. Beyond the Simple Sentence: Subordination
19. Avoiding Sentence Fragments
20. Using Parallelism in Sentences
21. Using Adjectives and Adverbs
22. Correcting Problems with Modifiers
23. Using Verbs Correctly
24. More on Verbs: Consistency and Voice
25. Making Subjects and Verbs Agree
26. Using Pronouns Correctly: Agreement and Reference
27. Using Pronouns Correctly: Consistency and Case
28. Punctuation: The Basics
29. Other Punctuation and Mechanics
31. Words that Sound Alike/Look Alike
32. Word Choice
33. Sentence Variety
PART IV: READINGS FOR WRITERS
ESL APPENDIX: GRAMMAR PRACTICE FOR NON-NATIVE ENGLISH SPEAKING STUDENTS
Purchase Info ?
With CourseSmart eTextbooks and eResources, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Once you have purchased your eTextbooks and added them to your CourseSmart bookshelf, you can access them anytime, anywhere.
Along These Lines: Paragraphs and Essays, CourseSmart eTextbook, 6th Edition
Format: Safari Book
$52.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-205-11037-7