This CourseSmart Sampler includes a selection of material from the full book for faculty to use in order to make a textbook selection for their course. If you need to see additional chapters before making a final decision, please contact your Pearson sales representative for a print copy.
Along These Lines: Writing Sentences and Paragraphs, 5/e prepares students for the demands of subsequent composition courses by providing thorough grammar instruction and continual reinforcement of the writing process.
This comprehensive text/workbook prepares developmental writing students for success in future writing courses by offering thorough grammar instruction and continual reinforcement of the writing process. Filled with individual and collaborative exercises as well as numerous practical writing applications, ATL/S&P begins with the principles of grammar and progresses to comprehensive chapters on crafting paragraphs and even short essays. This text also provides a chapter on “Writing from Reading,” incorporates attractive visuals such as “Info Boxes” and checklists, and offers topical, thought-provoking readings and numerous writing options to engage students as they sharpen their writing and critical-thinking skills.
Table of Contents
Part One: Sentence-Level Skills
1. The Simple Sentence
2. Beyond the Simple Sentence: Coordination
3. Avoiding Run-On Sentences and Comma Splices
4. Beyond the Simple Sentence: Subordination
5. Combining Sentences: A Review of Your Options
6. Avoiding Sentence Fragments
7. Using Parallelism in Sentences
8. Using Adjectives and Adverbs
9. Correcting Problems with Modifiers
10. Verbs: The Four Main Verbs
11. More on Verb Tenses
12. Verbs: Consistency and Voice
13. Making Subjects and Verbs Agree
14. Using Pronouns Correctly: Agreement and Reference
15. Using Pronouns Correctly: Consistency and Case
18. Words that Sound Alike/Look Alike
19. Using Prepositions Correctly
Part II: Writing in Stages: The Process Approach
20. Writing a Paragraph: Prewriting
21. Writing a Paragraph: Planning
22. Writing a Paragraph: Drafting and Revising
23. Writing a Paragraph: Proofreading
24. Writing a Narrative Paragraph
25. Writing a Descriptive Paragraph
26. Writing an Illustration Paragraph
27. Writing a Process Paragraph
28. Moving from Paragraphs to Essays
29. Writing from Reading
Appendix A: Readings for Writers
Appendix B: Grammar Practice for Nonnative Speakers
Purchase Info ?
With CourseSmart eTextbooks and eResources, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Once you have purchased your eTextbooks and added them to your CourseSmart bookshelf, you can access them anytime, anywhere.
$54.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-205-11022-3