This dynamic and comprehensive text from two nationally renowned scholars continues to demonstrate the profound influence African Americans have had -- and continue to have -- on American politics.
Through the use of two interrelated themes–the idea of universal freedom and the concept of minority-majority coalitions–the text demonstrates how the presence of Africans in the United States affected the founding of the Republic and its political institutions and processes. The authors show that through the quest for their own freedom in the United States, African Americans have universalized and expanded the freedoms for all Americans.
Table of Contents
1. Universal Freedom Declared, Universal Freedom Denied: Racism, Slavery, and the Ideology of White Supremecy in the Founding of the Republic.
2. Federalism and the Limits of Universal Freedom.
II. POLITICAL BEHAVIORISM.
3. Political Culture.
4. Political Socialization.
5. Public Opinion.
6. African Americans and the Media.
III. COALITIONS, MOVEMENTS, INTEREST GROUPS, PARTIES, AND ELECTIONS.
7. Social Movements and a Theory of African American Coalition Politics.
8. Interest Groups.
9. Political Parties.
10. Voting Behavior and Elections.
11. The Congress and the African American Quest for Universal Freedom.
12. The Presidency and the African American Quest for Universal Freedom.
13. The Supreme Court and the African American Quest for Universal Freedom.
14. The Bureaucracy and the African American Quest for Universal Freedom.
V. PUBLIC POLICY.
15. Domestic Policy and the African American Quest for Social and Economic Justice.
16. The African American Quest for Universal Freedom and U.S. Foreign Policy.
The Declaration of Independence.
The Constitution of the United States of America.
Martin Luther King, Jr.’s “I Have a Dream” Speech.
Purchase Info ?
With CourseSmart eTextbooks and eResources, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Once you have purchased your eTextbooks and added them to your CourseSmart bookshelf, you can access them anytime, anywhere.
$49.60 | ISBN-13: 978-0-205-67681-1