Write and run code every step of the way — creating apps that catalog crime scenes, browse photos, track your jogging route, and more. Each chapter and app has been designed and tested to provide the knowledge and experience you need to get started in Android development.
"Big Nerd Ranch provided the training we needed to get hundreds of engineers building skillfully on Android. This book is a great distillation of that training and will be a huge help to anyone looking to ramp up as well." – Mike Shaver, Director of Mobile Engineering, Facebook
"…a must-have for the developer just starting in Android or ready for more advanced techniques. I was impressed with this book’s content and clarity of presentation. The authors explain simple and complex Android topics with equal ease." – James Steele, author of The Android Developer's Cookbook
Table of Contents
2. Android and Model-View-Controller
3. The Activity Lifecycle
4. Debugging Android Apps
5. Your Second Activity
6. Android SDK Versions and Compatibility
7. UI Fragments and the Fragment Manager
8. Creating User Interfaces with Layouts and Widgets
9. Displaying Lists with ListFragment
10. Using Fragment Arguments
11. Using ViewPager
13. Audio Playback Using MediaPlayer
14. Retained Fragments
16. The Action Bar
17. Saving and Loading Local Files
18. Context Menus and Contextual Action Mode
19. Camera I: Viewfinder
20. Camera II: Taking Pictures and Handling Images
21. Implicit Intents
22. Two-Pane Master-Detail Interfaces
23. More About Intents And Tasks
24. Styles And Includes
25. XML Drawables And 9-Patches
26. HTTP & Background Tasks
27. Loopers, Handlers, and HandlerThread
29. Background Services
30. Broadcast Intents
31. Browsing The Web & WebView
32. Custom Views and Touch Events
33. Tracking the Device's Location
34. Local Databases with SQLite
35. Loading Asynchronous Data With Loaders
36. Using Maps
Format: eBook (Watermarked)?
This eBook includes the following formats, accessible from your Account page after purchase:
EPUBThe open industry format known for its reflowable content and usability on supported mobile devices.
MOBIThe eBook format compatible with the Amazon Kindle and Amazon Kindle applications.
PDFThe popular standard, used most often with the free Adobe® Reader® software.
This eBook requires no passwords or activation to read. We customize your eBook by discreetly watermarking it with your name, making it uniquely yours.
Includes EPUB, MOBI, and PDF
$39.99Add to Cart