Tightly focused on Android 4.2.2’s tablet-related capabilities, it presents an unparalleled library of easy-to-reuse code for solving real-world problems. Everything’s organized in modular, standalone sections to help you quickly find what you’re looking for, even when you need to use multiple classes together.
Throughout, B.M. Harwani clearly explains how Android tablet apps are unique, how to leverage Android skills and libraries you’ve already mastered, and how to efficiently integrate tablet APIs and features. From media to NFC, porting phone apps to integrating analytics, this book will help you do it fast and do it right.
- Providing user control via the system clipboard, notifications, and pending intents
- Supporting drag and drop for both text and images
- Displaying navigation and core app functionality via the ActionBar
- Using widgets to present calendars, number pickers, image stacks, and options lists
- Delivering powerful graphics via animation and hardware accelerated 2D
- Recording audio, video, and images
- Responding to sensors
- Pairing tablets to other Bluetooth-enabled Android devices or PCs
- Using Wi-Fi Direct to share media
- Creating custom home screen widgets
- Making the most of threads and the AsyncTask class
- Exchanging data via JSON
- Displaying and browsing Web content via the WebView widget
- Creating fragments dynamically at runtime and implementing communication between fragments
- Porting apps from smartphones to tablets and building new apps for both
- Supporting older versions of the Android SDK
- Sharing data and messages via NFC with Android Beam
- Integrating app analytics and tracking
Turn to The Android Tablet Developer’s Cookbook for proven, expert answers--and the code you need to implement them. It’s all you need to jump-start any project and quickly create compelling Android tablet apps that sell!
Table of Contents
I: User Interface Techniques
1 Overview of Android Tablet Applications 7
2 Fragments 47
3 ActionBars in Action 101
4 New Widgets 131
II: Managing Content
5 System Clipboard and Drag and Drop 155
6 Notifications and Pending Intents 183
7 Loaders 201
III: Multimedia Techniques
8 Animation 231
9 Hardware Accelerated 2D 281
10 Creating and Rendering Graphics 299
11 Recording Audio, Video, and Images 323
IV: Networking and Hardware Interface
12 Wireless Connectivity 361
13 Cores and Threads 391
14 Keyboards and Sensors 407
V: Exploring the Web
15 JSON 425
16 WebViews 449
VI: Advanced Android Techniques
17 Adding Support for the Small Screen 467
18 Home Screen Widgets 491
19 Android Beam 511
20 Application Analytics and Tracking 533
Format: eBook (Watermarked)?
This eBook includes the following formats, accessible from your Account page after purchase:
EPUBThe open industry format known for its reflowable content and usability on supported mobile devices.
MOBIThe eBook format compatible with the Amazon Kindle and Amazon Kindle applications.
PDFThe popular standard, used most often with the free Adobe® Reader® software.
This eBook requires no passwords or activation to read. We customize your eBook by discretely watermarking it with your name, making it uniquely yours.
Includes EPUB, MOBI, and PDF
$39.99Add to Cart