Table of Contents
Exercise 1: The Study of Minerals
Exercise 2: Rocks and the Rock Cycle
Exercise 3: Aerial Photographs, Satellite Images, and Topographic Maps
Exercise 4: Shaping Earth’s Surface–Running Water and Groundwater
Exercise 5: Shaping Earth’s Surface–Arid and Glacial Landscapes
Exercise 6: Geologic Time
Exercise 7: Geologic Maps and Structures
Exercise 8: Earthquakes and Earth’s Interior
Part 2 Oceanography
Exercise 9: Introduction to Oceanography
Exercise 10: The Dynamic Ocean Floor
Exercise 11: Waves, Currents, and Tides
Part 3 Meteorology
Exercise 12: Earth–Sun Relationships
Exercise 13: Heating the Atmosphere
Exercise 14: Atmospheric Moisture, Pressure, and Wind
Exercise 15: Air Masses, the Middle-Latitude Cyclone, and Weather Maps
Exercise 16: Global Climates
Part 4 Astronomy
Exercise 17: Astronomical Observations
Exercise 18: Patterns in the Solar System
Exercise 19: Locating the Planets
Exercise 20: Examining the Terrestrial Planets
Exercise 21: The Moon and the Sun
Part 5 Earth Science Skills
Exercise 22: Location and Distance on Earth
Exercise 23: The Metric System, Measurements, and Scientific Inquiry
These online resources are available at no cost.
Companion Website for Applications and Investigations in Earth Science, 7th Edition
This title is currently unavailable on myPearsonStore.
We recommend Applications and Investigations in Earth Science, 8th Edition as a replacement.
Digital Choices ?
MyLab & Mastering with Pearson eText is a complete digital substitute for a print value pack at a lower price.
With VitalSource eTextbooks, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Access your course materials on iPad, Android and Kindle devices with VitalSource Bookshelf, the textbook e-reader that helps you read, study and learn brilliantly. Features include:
- See all of your eTextbooks at a glance and access them instantly anywhere, anytime from your Bookshelf - no backpack required.
- Multiple ways to move between pages and sections including linked Table of Contents and Search make navigating eTextbooks a snap.
- Highlight text with one click in your choice of colors. Add notes to highlighted passages. Even subscribe to your classmates' and instructors' highlights and notes to view in your book.
- Scale images and text to any size with multi-level zoom without losing page clarity. Customize your page display and reading experience to create a personal learning experience that best suits you.
- Print only the pages you need within limits set by publisher
- Supports course materials that include rich media and interactivity like videos and quizzes
- Easily copy/paste text passages for homework and papers
- Supports assistive technologies for accessibility by vision and hearing impaired users