Pre- and in-service teachers turn to this book for a comprehensive, well-grounded look at theory and research, balanced with a practical approach to reading assessment, diagnosis, and remediation that includes 46 sample lessons covering virtually every major skill or strategy. The lessons are described in an easy-to-follow, step-by-step manner, and the emphasis is on strategies that teachers can use independently for developing skills in word recognition, vocabulary, comprehension, reading in the content areas, writing, spelling, and studying. This new Fifth Edition of Assessing and Correcting Reading and Writing Difficulties includes coverage of the critical areas of Response to Intervention and the impact of the Common Core State Standards.
Table of Contents
- Introduction to Literacy Difficulties
- Factors Involved in Reading and Writing Difficulties
- Overview of Assessment
- Placing Students and Monitoring Progress
- Assessment of Reading and Writing Processes
- Assessment of Cognitive, School, and Home Factors
- Emergent Literacy and Prevention Programs
- Teaching Phonics, High-Frequency Words, and Fluency
- Syllabic, Morphemic, and Contextual Analysis and Dictionary Strategies
- Building Vocabulary
- Building Comprehension
- Reading to Learn and Remember in the Content Areas
- Building Writing Strategies
- Tier II and III Programs
- Organization of Intervention and Corrective Programs
- Appendix A: Informal Assessment Measures
Digital Choices ?
MyLab & Mastering with Pearson eText is a complete digital substitute for a print value pack at a lower price.