For one-semester Introduction to Astronomy courses.
With Astronomy: A Beginner’s Guide, Seventh Edition, the briefer version of their two seminal textbooks, trusted authors Eric Chaisson and Steve McMillan continue to emphasize three major themes: the process of science, the size and scale of the universe, and the evolution of the universe. The Seventh Edition introduces three additional core features: learning outcomes, collaborative and individual activities, and scientific history and culture. Known for its stunning art program, A Beginner’s Guide now also provides revised visual analogies that help students connect cosmic concepts to their daily lives.
Table of Contents
0. Charting the Heavens: The Foundations of Astronomy
1. The Copernican Revolution: The Birth of Modern Science
2. Light and Matter: The Inner Workings of the Cosmos
3. Telescopes: The Tools of Astronomy
II. OUR PLANETARY SYSTEM
4. The Solar System: Interplanetary Matter and the Birth of the Planets
5. Earth and Its Moon: Our Cosmic Backyard
6. The Terrestrial Planets: A Study in Contrasts
7. The Jovian Planets: Giants of the Solar System
8. Moons, Rings, and Plutoids: Small Worlds Among Giants
III. THE STARS
9. The Sun: Our Parent Star
10. Measuring the Stars: Giants, Dwarfs, and the Main Sequence
11. The Interstellar Medium: Star Formation in the Milky Way
12. Stellar Evolution: The Lives and Deaths of Stars
13. Neutron Stars and Black Holes: Strange States of Matter
IV. GALAXIES AND THE UNIVERSE
14. The Milky Way Galaxy: A Spiral in Space
15. Normal and Active Galaxies: Building Blocks of the Universe
16. Hubble’s Law and Dark Matter: The Large-Scale Structure of the Cosmos
17. Cosmology: The Big Bang and the Fate of the Universe
18. Life in the Universe: Are We Alone?
Purchase Info ?
With CourseSmart eTextbooks and eResources, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Once you have purchased your eTextbooks and added them to your CourseSmart bookshelf, you can access them anytime, anywhere.
$62.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-84064-6