With Astronomy Today, Seventh Edition, trusted authors Eric Chaisson and Steve McMillan communicate their excitement about astronomy and awaken you to the universe around you. The text emphasizes critical thinking and visualization, and it focuses on the process of scientific discovery, making “how we know what we know” an integral part of the text. The revised edition has been thoroughly updated with the latest astronomical discoveries and theories, and it has been streamlined to keep you focused on the essentials and to develop an understanding of the “big picture.”
Astronomy Today Volume 1: The Solar System focuses primarily on planetary coverage for a 1-term course and Includes Chapters 1-16, 28 of the main text.
Other Alternate Version:
- Astronomy Today, Volume 2: Stars and Galaxies, Seventh Edition–Focuses primarily on stars and stellar evolution for a 1-term course. Includes Chapters 1-5 and 16-28.
Table of Contents
1. Charting the Heavens: The Foundations of Astronomy
2. The Copernican Revolution: The Birth of Modern Science
3. Radiation: Information from the Cosmos
4. Spectroscopy: The Inner Workings of Atoms
5. Telescopes: The Tools of Astronomy
6. The Solar System: An Introduction to Comparative Planetology
7. Earth: Our Home in Space
8. The Moon and Mercury: Scorched and Battered Worlds
9. Venus: Earth’s Sister Planet
10. Mars: A Near Miss for Life?
11. Jupiter: Giant of the Solar System
12. Saturn: Spectacular Rings and Mysterious Moons
13. Uranus and Neptune: The Outer Worlds of the Solar System
14. Solar System Debris: Keys to Our Origin
15. The Formation of Planetary Systems: The Solar System and Beyond
16. The Sun: Our Parent Star
28. Life in the Universe: Are We Alone?
Format: Alternate Binding
This title is currently unavailable on myPearsonStore.
We recommend Astronomy Today Volume 1: The Solar System, 8th Edition as a replacement.