With Astronomy Today, Seventh Edition, trusted authors Eric Chaisson and Steve McMillan communicate their excitement about astronomy and awaken you to the universe around you. The text emphasizes critical thinking and visualization, and it focuses on the process of scientific discovery, making “how we know what we know” an integral part of the text. The revised edition has been thoroughly updated with the latest astronomical discoveries and theories, and it has been streamlined to keep you focused on the essentials and to develop an understanding of the “big picture.”
Note: Astronomy Today, Volume 2: Stars and Galaxies, 7/e focuses primarily on stars and stellar evolution for a 1-term course and includes Chapters 1-5 and 16-28 of the main text.This is the standalone book if you want the book/access card order the ISBN below;
0321718658 / 9780321718655 Astronomy Today Volume 2: Stars and Galaxies with MasteringAstronomy
Package consists of:
0321705998 / 9780321705990 MasteringAstronomy with Pearson eText Student Access Code Card for Astronomy Today
0321718631 / 9780321718631 Astronomy Today Volume 2: Stars and Galaxies
Other Alternate Version:
- Astronomy Today, Volume 1: The Solar System, Seventh Edition–Focuses primarily on planetary coverage for a 1-term course. Includes Chapters 1-16, 28.
Table of Contents
1. Charting the Heavens: The Foundations of Astronomy
2. The Copernican Revolution: The Birth of Modern Science
3. Radiation: Information from the Cosmos
4. Spectroscopy: The Inner Workings of Atoms
5. Telescopes: The Tools of Astronomy
16. The Sun: Our Parent Star
17. The Stars: Giants, Dwarfs, and the Main Sequence
18. The Interstellar Medium: Gas and Dust among the Stars
19. Star Formation: A Traumatic Birth
20. Stellar Evolution: The Life and Death of a Star
21. Stellar Explosions: Novae, Supernovae, and the Formation of the Elements
22. Neutron Stars and Black Holes: Strange States of Matter
23. The Milky Way Galaxy: A Spiral in Space
24. Galaxies: Building Blocks of the Universe
25. Galaxies and Dark Matter: The Large-Scale Structure of the Cosmos
26. Cosmology: The Big Bang and the Fate of the Universe
27. The Early Universe: Toward the Beginning of Time
28. Life in the Universe: Are We Alone?
Format: Alternate Binding
This title is currently unavailable on myPearsonStore.
We recommend Astronomy Today Volume 2: Stars and Galaxies, 8th Edition as a replacement.