For introductory civil/construction technology program courses in environmental technology, water supply and pollution control, environmental quality control, environmental and sanitary design, and water/wastewater technology.
The clear, up-to-date, practical, visual, application-focused introduction to modern environmental technology.
Now fully updated, Basic Environmental Technology, Sixth Edition emphasizes applications while presenting fundamental concepts in clear, simple language. It covers a broad range of environmental topics clearly and thoroughly, giving students a solid foundation for further study and workplace success. This edition adds new coverage of environmental sustainability, integrated water management, low impact development, green building design, advanced water purification, dual water systems, new pipeline materials, hydraulic fracturing, constructed wetlands, single stream municipal solid waste recycling, plasma gasification of waste, updated EPA standards, and more. Hundreds of clear diagrams and photographs illuminate key concepts; practice problems and review questions offer students ample opportunity to deepen their mastery. Math is applied at a basic level, and all computations are fully explained with example problems; both U.S. and metric units are used. Students with less academic experience will also appreciate this text's review of basic math, and its basic primers on biology, chemistry, geology, hydrology, and hydraulics.
Teaching and Learning Experience
This easy-to-read text will help technology students quickly understand the latest issues and techniques related to water supply, waste management, and pollution control. It provides:
- Thorough, up-to-date, application-focused coverage of the field's key issues, challenges, and techniques: Prepares students for success in roles involving hydraulics, hydrology, water quality, water pollution mitigation, drinking water purification, water distribution systems, sanitary sewers, stormwater management, wastewater treatment/disposal, municipal solid waste, hazardous waste management, and the control of air and noise pollution
- Simple and clear, with plenty of numerical examples and basic primers for less prepared students: Written and designed for maximum accessibility, with introductory math and science primers for every student who needs them, and step-by-step walkthrough examples for all significant computations
- Hundreds of diagrams and photos, and extensive pedagogical resources for faster, more intuitive learning: Teaches visually and through example wherever possible; contains clear chapter summaries, an expanded glossary, and comprehensive, updated Instructor's materials
Table of Contents
1. Basic Concepts
4. Water Quality
5. Water Pollution
6. Drinking Water Purification
7. Water Distribution Systems
8. Sanitary Sewer Systems
9. Stormwater Management
10. Wastewater Treatment and Disposal
11. Municipal Solid Waste
12. Hazardous Waste Management
13. Air Pollution and Control
14. Noise Pollution and Control
Appendix A. Environmental Impact Studies and Audits
Appendix B. Education, Employment, Licensing, and Certification
Appendix C. LEED Green Building Project Certification Process
Appendix D. Review of Basic Mathematics, Units, and Unit Conversions
Appendix E. Glossary and Abbreviations
Appendix F. Answers to Practice Problems
Purchase Info ?
With CourseSmart eTextbooks and eResources, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Once you have purchased your eTextbooks and added them to your CourseSmart bookshelf, you can access them anytime, anywhere.
$61.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-13-284047-7