Updated in this 2nd edition, The Basics of Communication Studies, introduces students to human communication in a clear, concise, and engaging way. It presents the “nuts and bolts” of human communication without excessive detail, delivering the necessary material on communication without being overwhelming or cost-prohibitive.
Table of Contents
Most chapters begin with “Introductory Exercises” and conclude with “Summary,” “For More Information,” “Review Questions,” and “Works Cited.”
1. Why Study Communication?
Definition of Communication
Models of Communication
Essential Parts of Communication
Communication in Context
Principles of Communication
2. Perception and Listening
Why Don't We All See Things the Same Way?
Perception and Awareness
Eyes, Ears, Heart
Importance of Listening
Kinds of Listening
Barriers to Listening
Improving Listening Skills
3. Verbal Communication
What Is Language?
Principles of Verbal Communication
Language as an Obstacle to Communication
Barriers to Communication
Improving Verbal Communication
4. Nonverbal Communication
What is Nonverbal Communication?
Principles of Nonverbal Communication
Types of Nonverbal Communication
Improving Your Understanding
5. Intercultural Communication
Definition of Intercultural Communication
Characteristics of Intercultural Communication
Barriers to Intercultural Communication
Improving Intercultural Communication
6. Intrapersonal and Interpersonal Communication.
What Is Intrapersonal Communication?
Schutz's Interpersonal Needs
Social Penetration Theory
Improving Interpersonal Communication
7. Group Communication.
Types of Groups
How Groups Meet Our Basic Needs
How Many Members Does it Take to Make a Group?
Groups Play By Their Own Rules
Problem-Solving in Groups
How Do Groups Develop?
Lifecycles of Groups
Why Do People Stay in a Group?
Group Members Have Roles to Play
When Groups Come Together via Computers
Group Members as Leaders
8. Communication at Work
What Do You Know Already?
What Do You Need to Know?
You've Got the Invitation to Interview!
Effective Communication in Teams and Groups
Effective Communication in Meetings
Effective Communication in Virtual Meetings
9. Mass Communication
What Is Mass Communication?
Types of Mass Communication
Functions of Mass Communication
Effects of Mass Communication
Critical Analysis of Mass Communication
10. Speech Preparation
How to Choose a Topic
Getting to Know Your Audience
The Five Parts of any Speech
Constructing the Introduction, Conclusion, and Effective Transitions
17 Organizational Patterns for your Speech
The Speech to Inform
Sample Outline: The Informative Speech
The Speech to Persuade
Sample Outline: The Persuasive Speech
Fallacies in Reasoning
Ethics in Communication
11. Speech Presentation
What Makes for a “Good Delivery?”
Nonverbal Communication and Delivery
Umms, Ahhs, and Other Speech Disfluencies
Effective Notecards and Other Useful Tools
Effective Eye Contact
Visual Aids: Purpose, Emphasis, Support, and Clarity
Types of Visual Aids
Methods and Materials
Preparing Visual Aids
Using Visual Aids
Effective PowerPoint Presentations
Digital Choices ?
MyLab & Mastering with Pearson eText is a complete digital substitute for a print value pack at a lower price.
With VitalSource eTextbooks, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Access your course materials on iPad, Android and Kindle devices with VitalSource Bookshelf, the textbook e-reader that helps you read, study and learn brilliantly. Features include:
- See all of your eTextbooks at a glance and access them instantly anywhere, anytime from your Bookshelf - no backpack required.
- Multiple ways to move between pages and sections including linked Table of Contents and Search make navigating eTextbooks a snap.
- Highlight text with one click in your choice of colors. Add notes to highlighted passages. Even subscribe to your classmates' and instructors' highlights and notes to view in your book.
- Scale images and text to any size with multi-level zoom without losing page clarity. Customize your page display and reading experience to create a personal learning experience that best suits you.
- Print only the pages you need within limits set by publisher
- Supports course materials that include rich media and interactivity like videos and quizzes
- Easily copy/paste text passages for homework and papers
- Supports assistive technologies for accessibility by vision and hearing impaired users
$26.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-205-89502-1