Widely praised for its strong biochemistry coverage, Becker’s World of the Cell, Eighth Edition, provides a clear, up-to-date introduction to cell biology concepts, processes, and applications. Informed by many years of teaching the introductory cell biology course, the authors have added new emphasis on modern genetic/genomic/proteomic approaches to cell biology while using clear language to ensure that students comprehend the material. Becker’s World of the Cell provides accessible and authoritative descriptions of all major principles, as well as unique scientific insights into visualization and applications of cell biology.
Table of Contents
1. A Preview of the Cell
2. The Chemistry of the Cell
3. The Macromolecules of the Cell
4. Cells and Organelles
5. Bioenergetics: The Flow of Energy in the Cell
6. Enzymes: The Catalysts of Life
7. Membranes: Their Structure, Function, and Chemistry
8. Transport Across Membranes: Overcoming the Permeability Barrier
9. Chemotrophic Energy Metabolism: Glycolysis and Fermentation
10. Chemotrophic Energy Metabolism: Aerobic Respiration
11. Phototrophic Energy Metabolism: Photosynthesis
12. The Endomembrane System and Peroxisomes
13. Signal Transduction Mechanisms: I. Electrical and Synaptic Signaling in Neurons
14. Signal Transduction Mechanisms: II. Messengers and Receptors
15. Cytoskeletal Systems
16. Cellular Movement: Motility and Contractility
17. Beyond the Cell: Cell Adhesion, Cell Junctions, and Extracellular Structures
18. The Structural Basis of Cellular Information: DNA, Chromosomes, and the Nucleus
19. The Cell Cycle, DNA Replication, and Mitosis
20. Sexual Reproduction, Meiosis, and Genetic Recombination
21. Gene Expression: I. The Genetic Code and Transcription
22. Gene Expression: II. Protein Synthesis and Sorting
23. The Regulation of Gene Expression
24. Cancer Cells
Appendix–Visualizing Cells and Molecules
Photo, Illustration, and Text Credits
Enhance your learning experience with text-specific study materials.
$62.33 | Add to Cart
This title is also sold in the various packages listed below. Before purchasing one of these packages, speak with your professor about which one will help you be successful in your course.
Package ISBN-13: 9780321793003
Includes this title packaged with:
- Reading Primary Literature: A Practical Guide to Evaluating Research Articles in Biology
Christopher M. Gillen
$196.40 | Add to Cart
MyLab & Mastering ?
MyLab & Mastering products deliver customizable content and highly personalized study paths, responsive learning tools, and real-time evaluation and diagnostics. MyLab & Mastering products help move students toward the moment that matters most—the moment of true understanding and learning.
$30.00 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-86160-3
$30.00 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-68960-3
$131.50 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-68965-8
With CourseSmart eTextbooks and eResources, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Once you have purchased your eTextbooks and added them to your CourseSmart bookshelf, you can access them anytime, anywhere.
$78.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-75401-1
Loose Leaf Version ?
Books a la Carte are less-expensive, loose-leaf versions of the same textbook.
$127.67 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-68963-4