With a bright and engaging writing style that enlists the voices from experts as well as novices, Becoming a Teacher explores what it means to be a professional teacher in today’s climate of accountability, high-stakes testing, and changing legislation.
The fully revised 9th edition embraces and articulates the changing field of education, outlining ways to be an agent of change in the profession, pinpointing meaningful uses of technology in education, clarifying realities of diversity in the classroom, and clearly outlining past, present, and future thoughts on curriculum, instruction, management, philosophy, and issues in education. This down-to-earth and straightforward approach provides students with the tools and information necessary to answer the questions, “What does it take to become a high quality teacher?” and “Do I want to teach?” Along the way, the author provides practical perspectives for meeting the challenges of teaching. Organized into four parts, the book addresses both functional and foundational topics to give readers a well-rounded view of the teaching profession.
Table of Contents
Becoming a Teacher, 9th Edition
By Forrest W. Parkay
Contents in Brief
Chapter 1: Teaching: Your Chosen Profession
Chapter 2: Today’s Teachers
Chapter 3: Today’s Schools
Chapter 4: Philosophical Foundations of U.S. Education
Chapter 5: Historical Foundations of U.S. Education
Chapter 6: Governance and Finance of U.S. Schools
Chapter 7: Ethical and Legal Issues in U.S. Education
Chapter 8: Today’s Students
Chapter 9: Addressing Learners’ Individual Needs
Chapter 10: Creating A Community of Learners
Chapter 11: Curriculum Standards, Assessment, and Student Learning
Chapter 12: Integrating Technology into Teaching
Chapter 13: Becoming a Professional Teacher
This title is currently unavailable on myPearsonStore.
We recommend Becoming a Teacher, Enhanced Pearson eText with Loose-Leaf Version -- Access Card Package, 10th Edition as a replacement.
Digital Choices ?
MyLab & Mastering with Pearson eText is a complete digital substitute for a print value pack at a lower price.
With VitalSource eTextbooks, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Access your course materials on iPad, Android and Kindle devices with VitalSource Bookshelf, the textbook e-reader that helps you read, study and learn brilliantly. Features include:
- See all of your eTextbooks at a glance and access them instantly anywhere, anytime from your Bookshelf - no backpack required.
- Multiple ways to move between pages and sections including linked Table of Contents and Search make navigating eTextbooks a snap.
- Highlight text with one click in your choice of colors. Add notes to highlighted passages. Even subscribe to your classmates' and instructors' highlights and notes to view in your book.
- Scale images and text to any size with multi-level zoom without losing page clarity. Customize your page display and reading experience to create a personal learning experience that best suits you.
- Print only the pages you need within limits set by publisher
- Supports course materials that include rich media and interactivity like videos and quizzes
- Easily copy/paste text passages for homework and papers
- Supports assistive technologies for accessibility by vision and hearing impaired users