The Rockswold/Krieger algebra series fosters conceptual understanding by using relevant applications and visualization to show students why math matters. It answers the common question “When will I ever use this?” Rockswold teaches students the math in context, rather than including the applications at the end of the presentation. By seamlessly integrating meaningful applications that include real data and supporting visuals (graphs, tables, charts, colors, and diagrams), students are able to see how math impacts their lives as they learn the concepts. The authors believe this approach deepens conceptual understanding and better prepares students for future math courses and life.
Table of Contents
1. Introduction to Algebra
1.1 Numbers, Variables, and Expressions
1.3 Exponents and Order of Operations
1.4 Real Numbers and the Number Line
1.5 Addition and Subtraction of Real Numbers
1.6 Multiplication and Division of Real Numbers
1.7 Properties of Real Numbers
1.8 Simplifying and Writing Algebraic Expressions
2. Linear Equations and Inequalities
2.1 Introduction to Equations
2.2 Linear Equations
2.3 Introduction to Problem Solving
2.5 Linear Inequalities
3. Graphing Equations
3.1 Introduction to Graphing
3.2 Linear Equations in Two Variables
3.3 More Graphing of Lines
3.4 Slope and Rates of Change
3.5 Slope-Intercept Form
3.6 Point-Slope Form
3.7 Introduction to Modeling
4. Systems of Linear Equations In Two Variables
4.1 Solving Systems of Linear Equations Graphically and Numerically
4.2 Solving Systems of Linear Equations by Substitution
4.3 Solving Systems of Linear Equations by Elimination
4.4 Systems of Linear Inequalities
5. Polynomials and Exponents
5.1 Rules for Exponents
5.2 Addition and Subtraction of Polynomials
5.3 Multiplication of Polynomials
5.4 Special Products
5.5 Integer Exponents and the Quotient Rule
5.6 Division of Polynomials
6. Factoring Polynomials and Solving Equations
6.1 Introduction to Factoring
6.2 Factoring Trinomials I (x + bx + c)
6.3 Factoring Trinomials II (ax2 + bx + c)
6.4 Special Types of Factoring
6.5 Summary of Factoring
6.6 Solving Equations by Factoring I (Quadratics)
6.7 Solving Equations by Factoring II (Higher Degree)
7. Rational Expressions
7.1 Introduction to Rational Expressions
7.2 Multiplication and Division of Rational Expressions
7.3 Addition and Subtraction with Like Denominators
7.4 Addition and Subtraction with Unlike Denominators
7.5 Complex Fractions
7.6 Rational Equations and Formulas
7.7 Proportions and Variation
8. Radical Expressions
8.1 Introduction to Radical Expressions
8.2 Multiplication and Division of Radical Expressions
8.3 Addition and Subtraction of Radical Expressions
8.4 Simplifying Radical Expressions
8.5 Equations Involving Radical Expressions
8.6 Higher Roots and Rational Exponents
9. Quadratic Equations
9.2 Introduction to Quadratic Equations
9.3 Solving by Completing the Square
9.4 The Quadratic Formula
9.5 Complex Solutions
9.6 Introduction to Functions
Appendix A: Using the Graphing Calculator
Appendix B: Sets
Answers to Selected Exercises
Enhance your learning experience with text-specific study materials.
$35.20 | Add to Cart
$44.20 | Add to Cart
Digital Choices ?
MyLab & Mastering with Pearson eText is a complete digital substitute for a print value pack at a lower price.
MyLab & Mastering ?
MyLab & Mastering products deliver customizable content and highly personalized study paths, responsive learning tools, and real-time evaluation and diagnostics. MyLab & Mastering products help move students toward the moment that matters most—the moment of true understanding and learning.
$103.95 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-75682-4
$60.50 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-75683-1
With VitalSource eTextbooks, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Access your course materials on iPad, Android and Kindle devices with VitalSource Bookshelf, the textbook e-reader that helps you read, study and learn brilliantly. Features include:
- See all of your eTextbooks at a glance and access them instantly anywhere, anytime from your Bookshelf - no backpack required.
- Multiple ways to move between pages and sections including linked Table of Contents and Search make navigating eTextbooks a snap.
- Highlight text with one click in your choice of colors. Add notes to highlighted passages. Even subscribe to your classmates' and instructors' highlights and notes to view in your book.
- Scale images and text to any size with multi-level zoom without losing page clarity. Customize your page display and reading experience to create a personal learning experience that best suits you.
- Print only the pages you need within limits set by publisher
- Supports course materials that include rich media and interactivity like videos and quizzes
- Easily copy/paste text passages for homework and papers
- Supports assistive technologies for accessibility by vision and hearing impaired users
$92.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-84937-3
Alternative Options ?
Click on the titles below to learn more about these options.
$134.48 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-89437-3
$174.00 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-72939-2
Loose Leaf Version ?
Books a la Carte are less-expensive, loose-leaf versions of the same textbook.
$154.00 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-74803-4