If you want to learn computer programming but don’t know which language to start with, this is the book for you! In just 24 lessons of one hour or less, any beginner can get a solid introduction to the basics of computer programming and learn to write simple programs for any platform—Windows, Mac, and mobile.
Using a straightforward, step-by-step approach, each lesson in this carefully crafted tutorial builds upon the previous one, allowing you to learn all the essentials of programming from the ground up.
Once you’ve mastered these fundamentals, the book introduces you to several of the most popular computer programming languages today and helps you decide which language to learn first.
- Step-by-step instructions carefully walk you through the most common programming tasks.
- Practical, hands-on examples show you how to apply what you learn to create your own programs
- Quizzes and exercises at the end of each lesson help you test your knowledge and stretch your skills
Learn how to…
- Set up your programming toolkit with widely available free downloads
- Process numbers and words
- Use variables to hold information
- Merge strings together
- Tell programs how to make decisions
- Create algorithms to count data values and accumulate totals
- Improve a user’s experience with cookies
- Debug your programs before going live
- Structure programs for readability
- Apply your programming skills to more advanced languages like Java
- Use object-oriented programming techniques
- Choose between other popular languages like C and C++, HTML5 and CSS3, Visual Basic and .NET, and PHP
- Distribute and sell your programs
Table of Contents
Part I - Start Programming Today
1 Hands-On Programming
2 Process and Techniques
3 Designing a Program
4 Getting Input and Displaying Output
5 Data Processing with Numbers and Words
6 Controlling Your Program
7 Debugging Tools
Part II - Programming Fundamentals
8 Structured Techniques
9 Programming Algorithms
10 Having Fun with Programming
11 Advanced Programming
Part III - Object-Oriented Programming with Java
12 Programming with Java
13 Java's Details
14 Java Has Class
15 Applets and Web Pages
Part IV - Other Programming Languages
16 HTML5 and CSS3
18 Scripting with PHP
19 Programming with C and C++
20 Programming with Visual Basic 2012
21 C# and the .NET Framework
Part V - The Business of Programming
22 How Companies Program
23 Distributing Applications
24 The Future of Programming
B Using the NetBeans IDE for Java
C ASCII Table
Format: eBook (Watermarked)?
This eBook includes the following formats, accessible from your Account page after purchase:
EPUBThe open industry format known for its reflowable content and usability on supported mobile devices.
MOBIThe eBook format compatible with the Amazon Kindle and Amazon Kindle applications.
PDFThe popular standard, used most often with the free Adobe® Reader® software.
This eBook requires no passwords or activation to read. We customize your eBook by discretely watermarking it with your name, making it uniquely yours.
Includes EPUB, MOBI, and PDF
Add to Cart