This practical text fully integrates theory and technique of brief counseling while presenting the relationship as the key to any successful intervention. All chapters include ideas and tools for brief counseling and case studies that take the reader step-by-step through the techniques of the first session and beyond. The text is written to engage readers and invite them to participate in both self-exploration and discovery.
Table of Contents
1. Foundations of Brief Counseling: The Fly Bottle
2. The Centrality of the Counseling Relationship: No Magic Tricks
3. Empathy and Caring
4. Helping Clients Frame Goals: The Pull of the Future
5. Facilitating and Perturbing Change: Counseling and Chaos
6. Constructivist Counseling: Invented and Imposed Realities
7. Narrative Counseling: Clients' Lives as Stories
8. Meaningful Stories, Meaningful Lives
9. Brains, Emotions, Thoughts, and Counseling: Cool Reason and Hot-Wiring
10. Counseling People in Crisis: Promoting Resilience and Resolution
11. The Reflecting Team, Consulting Break, and Offering Suggestions
12. The “Brief Attitudes" and Consolidating Change
13. Humanistic Counseling and Working With Involuntary Clients
14. Other Brief Approaches and Theory as a Tool
Purchase Info ?
With CourseSmart eTextbooks and eResources, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Once you have purchased your eTextbooks and added them to your CourseSmart bookshelf, you can access them anytime, anywhere.
$23.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-13-501181-2