Supports and motivates you as you learn to think like a biologist.
Building upon Scott Freeman’s unique narrative style that incorporates the Socratic approach and draws you into thinking like a biologist, the Fourth Edition has been carefully refined to motivate and support a broader range of learners as they are introduced to new concepts and encouraged to develop and practice new skills. Each page of the book is designed in the spirit of active learning and instructional reinforcement, equipping novice learners with tools that help them advance in the course—from recognizing essential information in highlighted sections to demonstrating and applying their understanding of concepts in practice exercises that gradually build in difficulty.
Table of Contents
1. Biology and the Tree of Life
I. THE MOLECULES OF LIFE
2. Water and Carbon: The Chemical Basis of Life
3. Protein Structure and Function
4. Nucleic Acids and the RNA World
5. An Introduction to Carbohydrates
6. Lipids, Membranes, and the First Cells
II. CELL STRUCTURE AND FUNCTION
7. Inside the Cell
8. Cell-Cell Interactions
9. Cellular Respiration and Fermentation
11. The Cell Cycle
III. GENE STRUCTURE AND EXPRESSION
13. Mendel and the Gene
14. DNA and the Gene: Synthesis and Repair
15. How Genes Work
16. Transcription, RNA Processing, and Translation
17. Control of Gene Expression in Bacteria
18. Control of Gene Expression in Eukaryotes
19. Analyzing and Engineering Genes
IV. DEVELOPMENTAL BIOLOGY
21. Principles of Development
22. An Introduction to Animal Development
23. An Introduction to Plant Development
V. EVOLUTIONARY PROCESSES AND PATTERNS
24. Evolution by Natural Selection
25. Evolutionary Processes
27. Phylogenies and the History of Life
VI. THE DIVERSIFICATION OF LIFE
28. Bacteria and Archaea
30. Green Algae and Land Plants
32. An Introduction to Animals
33. Protostome Animals
34. Deuterostome Animals
VII. HOW PLANTS WORK
36. Plant Form and Function
37. Water and Sugar Transport in Plants
38. Plant Nutrition
39. Plant Sensory Systems, Signals, and Responses
40. Plant Reproduction
VIII. HOW ANIMALS WORK
41. Animal Form and Function
42. Water and Electrolyte Balance in Animals
43. Animal Nutrition
44. Gas Exchange and Circulation
45. Electrical Signals in Animals
46. Animal Sensory Systems and Movement
47. Chemical Signals in Animals
48. Animal Reproduction
49. The Immune System in Animals
50. An Introduction to Ecology
51. Behavioral Ecology
52. Population Ecology
53. Community Ecology
55. Biodiversity and Conservation
Enhance your learning experience with text-specific study materials.
$25.00 | Add to Cart
Format: Alternate Binding
This title is currently unavailable on myPearsonStore.
We recommend Biological Science, 5th Edition as a replacement.
Digital Choices ?
MyLab & Mastering with Pearson eText is a complete digital substitute for a print value pack at a lower price.
MyLab & Mastering ?
MyLab & Mastering products deliver customizable content and highly personalized study paths, responsive learning tools, and real-time evaluation and diagnostics. MyLab & Mastering products help move students toward the moment that matters most—the moment of true understanding and learning.
$147.60 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-56165-7
$111.50 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-61352-3
$66.00 | ISBN-13: 978-0-13-507311-7
With CourseSmart eTextbooks and eResources, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Once you have purchased your eTextbooks and added them to your CourseSmart bookshelf, you can access them anytime, anywhere.
$104.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-60535-1