NOTE: Before purchasing, check with your instructor to ensure you select the correct ISBN. Several versions of Pearson's MyLab & Mastering products exist for each title, and registrations are not transferable. To register for and use Pearson's MyLab & Mastering products, you may also need a Course ID, which your instructor will provide.
Used books, rentals, and purchases made outside of Pearson
If purchasing or renting from companies other than Pearson, the access codes for Pearson's MyLab & Mastering products may not be included, may be incorrect, or may be previously redeemed. Check with the seller before completing your purchase.
For introductory courses for biology majors.
This package includes MasteringBiology™.
Uniquely engages biology students in active learning, scientific thinking, and skill development.
Scott Freeman’s Biological Science is beloved for its Socratic narrative style, its emphasis on experimental evidence, and its dedication to active learning. Science education research indicates that true mastery of content requires a move away from memorization towards active engagement with the material in a focused, personal way. Biological Science is designed to equip students with strategies to assess their level of understanding and identify the types of cognitive skills that need improvement.
With the Sixth Edition, content has been streamlined with an emphasis on core concepts and core competencies from the Vision and Change in Undergraduate Biology Education report. The text’s unique BioSkills section is now placed after Chapter 1 to help students develop key skills needed to become a scientist, new “Making Models” boxes guide learners in interpreting and creating models, and new “Put It all Together” case studies conclude each chapter and help students see connections between chapter content and current, real-world research questions. New, engaging content includes updated coverage of global climate change, advances in genetic editing, and recent insights into the evolution of land plants. Strong media Integration supports book features with MasteringBiology activities, Learning Catalytics™, and new whiteboard videos that guide students in completing “Making Models” assignments.
Personalize learning with MasteringBiology.
MasteringBiology from Pearson is the leading online homework, tutorial, and assessment system, designed to improve results by engaging students before, during, and after class with powerful content and activities. Instructors ensure students arrive ready to learn by assigning educationally effective content before class and encourage critical thinking and retention with in-class resources such as Learning Catalytics™. Students can further master concepts after class through traditional and adaptive homework assignments that provide hints and answer-specific feedback. The Mastering gradebook records scores for all automatically graded assignments in one place, while diagnostic tools give instructors access to rich data to assess student understanding and misconceptions.
Mastering brings learning full circle by continuously adapting to each student and making learning more personal than ever—before, during, and after class.
0321993756 / 9780321993755 Biological Science Plus MasteringBiology with eText -- Access Card Package, 6/e
Package consists of:
- 0134261992 / 9780134261997 MasteringBiology with Pearson eText -- ValuePack Access Card -- for Biological Science
- 0321976495 / 9780321976499 Biological Science
Table of Contents
1. Biology and the Tree of Life
I. THE MOLECULAR ORGIN AND EVOLUTION OF LIFE
2. Water and Carbon: The Chemical Basis of Life
3. Protein Structure and Function
4. Nucleic Acids and the RNA World
5. An Introduction to Carbohydrates
6. Lipids, Membranes, and the First Cells
II. CELL STRUCTURE AND FUNCTION
7. Inside the Cell
8. Energy and Enzymes: An Introduction to Metabolism
9. Cellular Respiration and Fermentation
11. Cell-Cell Interactions
12. The Cell Cycle
III. GENE STRUCTURE AND EXPRESSION
14. Mendel and the Gene
15. DNA and the Gene: Synthesis and Repair
16. How Genes Work
17. Transcription, RNA Processing, and Translation
18. Control of Gene Expression in Bacteria
19. Control of Gene Expression in Eukaryotes
20. The Molecular Revolution: Biotechnology and Beyond
21. gGenes, Development, and Evolution
IV. EVOLUTIONARY PATTERNS AND PROCESSES
22. Evolution by Natural Selection
23. Evolutionary Processes
25. Phylogenies and the History of Life
V. THE DIVERSIFICATION OF LIFE
26. Bacteria and Archaea
28. Green Algae and Land Plants
30. An Introduction to Animals
31. Protostome Animals
32. Deuterostome Animals
VI. HOW PLANTS WORK
34. Plant Form and Function
35. Water and Sugar Transport in Plants
36. Plant Nutrition
37. Plant Sensory Systems, Signals, and Responses
38. Plant Reproduction and Development
VII. HOW ANIMALS WORK
39. Animal Form and Function
40. Water and Electrolyte Balance in Animals
41. Animal Nutrition
42. Gas Exchange and Circulation
43. Animal Nervous Systems
44. Animal Sensory Systems
45 Animal Movement
46. Chemical Signals in Animals
47. Animal Reproduction and Development
48. The Immune System in Animals
49. An Introduction to Ecology
50. Behavioral Ecology
51. Population Ecology
52. Community Ecology
53. Ecosystems and Global Ecology
54. Biodiversity and Conservation Biology
Enhance your learning experience with text-specific study materials.
$26.65 $25.32 | Add to Cart
$69.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-13-397904-6
$119.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-13-420615-8
$119.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-13-429479-7
$146.65 $139.32 |
Digital + Print
$199.99 $189.99 |
ISBN-13: 978-0-13-429602-9 $173.32 $164.65 |
ISBN-13: 978-0-13-424306-1 $279.99 $265.99 |
Free Ground Shipping.