David Krogh’s Biology: A Guide to the Natural World leads readers on a memorable journey through the world of biology, using relevant examples, clearly-developed illustrations, and helpful insights that resonate with today’s students.
Widely-recognized as a book that students enjoy reading, the Fifth Edition has been thoroughly updated with new discussions on social concerns and health applications, along with streamlined chapter summaries and expanded review questions.
Table of Contents
1. Science as a Way of Learning: A Guide to the Natural World
2. Fundamental Building Blocks: Chemistry, Water, and pH
3. Life’s Components: Biological Molecules
4. Life’s Home: The Cell
5. Life’s Border: The Plasma Membrane
6. Life’s Mainspring: An Introduction to Energy
7. Vital Harvest: Deriving Energy from Food
8. The Green World’s Gift: Photosynthesis
9. The Links in Life’s Chain: Genetics and Cell Division
10. Preparing for Sexual Reproduction: Meiosis
11. The First Geneticist: Mendel and His Discoveries
12. Units of Heredity: Chromosomes and Inheritance
13. Passing On Life’s Information: DNA Structure and Replication
14. How Proteins Are Made: Genetic Transcription, Translation, and Regulation
15. The Future Isn’t What It Used to Be: Biotechnology
16. An Introduction to Evolution: Charles Darwin, Evolutionary Thought, and the Evidence for Evolution
17. The Means of Evolution: Microevolution
18. The Outcomes of Evolution: Macroevolution
19. A Slow Unfolding: The History of Life on Earth
20. Arriving Late, Traveling Far: The Evolution of Human Beings
21. Viruses, Bacteria, Archaea, and Protists: The Diversity of Life 1
22. Fungi: The Diversity of Life 2
23. Animals: The Diversity of Life 3
24. Plants: The Diversity of Life 4
25. The Angiosperms: Form and Function in Flowering Plants
26: Body Support and Movement: The Integumentary, Skeletal, and Muscular Systems
27. Communication and Control 1: The Nervous System
28 Communication and Control 2: The Endocrine System
29. Defending the Body: The Immune System
30. Transport and Exchange 1: Blood and Breath
31. Transport and Exchange 2: Digestion, Nutrition, and Elimination
32. An Amazingly Detailed Script: Animal Development
33. How the Baby Came to Be: Human Reproduction
34. An Interactive Living World 1: Populations in Ecology
35. An Interactive Living World 2: Communities in Ecology
36. An Interactive Living World 3: Ecosystems and Biomes
Enhance your learning experience with text-specific study materials.
$11.00 | Add to Cart
$41.80 | Add to Cart
$134.05 | Buy Access
This title is also sold in the various packages listed below. Before purchasing one of these packages, speak with your professor about which one will help you be successful in your course.
Package ISBN-13: 9780321967312
Includes this title packaged with:
- Biology: A Guide to the Natural World Plus MasteringBiology -- Access Card Package, 5th Edition
- MasteringBiology with Pearson eText Student Access Kit for Biology: A Guide to the Natural World (ME component), 5th Edition
$212.87 | Add to Cart
This title is currently unavailable on myPearsonStore.
We recommend Biology: A Guide to the Natural World, Technology Update, 5th Edition as a replacement.
MyLab & Mastering ?
MyLab & Mastering products deliver customizable content and highly personalized study paths, responsive learning tools, and real-time evaluation and diagnostics. MyLab & Mastering products help move students toward the moment that matters most—the moment of true understanding and learning.
$30.00 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-68305-2
$60.50 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-68284-0
$91.30 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-68289-5
$108.00 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-73654-3
$138.55 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-68281-9
With CourseSmart eTextbooks and eResources, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Once you have purchased your eTextbooks and added them to your CourseSmart bookshelf, you can access them anytime, anywhere.
$81.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-68282-6
Alternative Options ?
Click on the titles below to learn more about these options.
$147.40 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-74027-4
Loose Leaf Version ?
Books a la Carte are less-expensive, loose-leaf versions of the same textbook.
$134.07 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-71594-4