Known for its thorough coverage of diversity, ecology, and environmental issues, this comprehensive book engages students with integrated, relevant case studies, and challenges them with thought-provoking questions throughout each chapter.
The fully revised Biology: Life on Earth, Ninth Edition has the same friendly writing style appreciated by thousands of students, but with greater emphasis on engaging, real-world applications. New to this edition are “Case Study Continued” sections, which connect a chapter’s case study to relevant biological topics covered in the chapter, and “Have you ever wondered?” features that respond to commonly asked questions from students. Thoroughly revised illustrations and expanded critical thinking questions have been added to each chapter. CourseSmart textbooks do not include any media or print supplements that come packaged with the bound book.
Table of Contents
1. An Introduction to Life on Earth
I. THE LIFE OF A CELL
2. Atoms, Molecules, and Life
3. Biological Molecules
4. Cell Structure and Function
5. Cell Membrane Structure and Function
6. Energy Flow in the Life of a Cell
7. Capturing Solar Energy: Photosynthesis
8. Harvesting Energy: Glycolysis and Cellular Respiration
9. The Continuity of Life: Cellular Reproduction
10. Patterns of Inheritance
11. The Molecule of Heredity
12. Gene Expression and Regulation
14. Principles of Evolution
15. How Populations Evolve
16. The Origin of Species
17. The History of Life
18. Systematics: Seeking Order Amidst Diversity
19. The Diversity of Prokaryotes and Viruses
20. The Diversity of Protists
21. The Diversity of Plants
22. The Diversity of Fungi
23. Animal Diversity I: Invertebrates
24. Animal Diversity II: Vertebrates
IV. BEHAVIOR AND ECOLOGY
25. Animal Behavior
26. Population Growth and Regulation
27. Community Interactions
28. How Do Ecosystems Work?
29. Earth’s Diverse Ecosystems
30. Conserving Earth’s Biodiversity
With CourseSmart eTextbooks and eResources, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Once you have purchased your eTextbooks and added them to your CourseSmart bookshelf, you can access them anytime, anywhere.
Biology: Life on Earth, CourseSmart eTexbook, 9th Edition
Format: Electronic Book
$74.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-61175-8