Known for its thorough coverage of diversity, ecology, and environmental issues, this comprehensive book engages you with integrated, relevant case studies, and challenges you with thought-provoking questions throughout each chapter.
The fully revised Biology: Life on Earth with Physiology, Ninth Edition, has the same friendly writing style appreciated by thousands of students, but with greater emphasis on engaging, real-world applications. New to this edition are “Case Study Continued” sections, which connect a chapter’s case study to relevant biological topics covered in the chapter, and “Have you ever wondered?” features that respond to commonly asked questions from students. Thoroughly revised illustrations and expanded critical thinking questions have been added to each chapter.
For courses not covering plant and animal anatomy & physiology, an alternate version—Biology: Life on Earth, Ninth Edition—is also available.
Table of Contents
1. An Introduction to Life on Earth
I. LIFE OF THE CELL
2. Atoms, Molecules, and Life
3. Biological Molecules
4. Cell Structure and Function
5. Cell Membrane Structure and Function
6. Energy Flow in the Life of a Cell
7. Capturing Solar Energy: Photosynthesis
8. Harvesting Energy: Glycolysis and Cellular Respiration
9. The Continuity of Life: Cellular Reproduction
10. Patterns of Inheritance
11. DNA: The Molecule of Heredity
12. Gene Expression and Regulation
III. EVOLUTION AND DIVERSITY OF LIFE
14. Principles of Evolution
15. How Organisms Evolve
16. The Origin of Species
17. The History of Life
18. Systematics: Seeking Order Amidst Diversity
19. The Diversity of Prokaryotes and Viruses
20. The Diversity of Protists
21. The Diversity of Plants
22. The Diversity of Fungi
23. Animal Diversity I: Invertebrates
24. Animal Diversity II: Vertebrates
IV. BEHAVIOR AND ECOLOGY
25. Animal Behavior
26. Population Growth and Regulation
27. Community Interactions
28. How Do Ecosystems Work?
29. Earth’s Diverse Ecosystems
30. Conserving Earth’s Biodiversity
V. ANIMAL ANATOMY AND PHYSIOLOGY
31. Homeostasis and the Organization of the Animal Body
34. Nutrition and Digestion
35. The Urinary System
36. Immunity: Defenses Against Disease
37. Chemical Control of the Animal Body: The Endocrine System
38. The Nervous System
39. The Senses
40. Action and Support: The Muscles and Skeleton
41. Animal Reproduction
42. Animal Development
VI. PLANT ANATOMY AND PHYSIOLOGY
43. Plant Anatomy and Nutrient Transport
44. Plant Reproduction and Development
45. Plant Responses to the Environment
Enhance your learning experience with text-specific study materials.
$11.20 | Add to Cart
$37.60 | Add to Cart
$124.45 | Buy Access
$191.40 | Free Ground Shipping.
MyLab and Mastering products deliver customizable content and highly personalized study paths, responsive learning tools, and real-time evaluation and diagnostics. MyLab and Mastering products help move students toward the moment that matters most—the moment of true understanding and learning.
$30.00 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-61189-5
$60.50 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-63415-3
$91.30 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-68243-7
With CourseSmart eTextbooks and eResources, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Once you have purchased your eTextbooks and added them to your CourseSmart bookshelf, you can access them anytime, anywhere.
$76.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-61172-7
Click on the titles below to learn more about these options.
$135.80 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-74222-3
Books a la Carte are less-expensive, loose-leaf versions of the same textbook.
$124.47 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-61540-4