Known for its unique “Special Topic” chapters and emphasis on everyday health concerns, the Fifth Edition of Biology of Humans: Concepts, Applications, and Issues continues to personalize the study of human biology with a conversational writing style, stunning art, abundant applications, and tools to help you develop critical-thinking skills. The authors give you a practical and friendly introduction for understanding how their bodies work and for preparing them to navigate today’s world of rapidly expanding—and shifting—health information.
Each chapter now opens with new “Did You Know?” questions that pique your interest with intriguing and little-known facts about the topic that follows. The Fifth Edition also features a new “Special Topic” chapter (1a) titled “Becoming a Patient: A Major Decision,” which discusses how to select a doctor and/or a hospital, how to research health conditions, and more.
Table of Contents
1. Humans in the World of Biology
1a. Special Topic: Becoming a Patient: A Major Decision
2. Chemistry Comes to Life
3. The Cell
4. Body Organization and Homeostasis
5. The Skeletal System
6. The Muscular System
7. Neurons: The Matter of the Mind
8. The Nervous System
8a. Special Topic: Drugs and the Mind
9. Sensory Systems
10. The Endocrine System
10a. Special Topic: Diabetes Mellitus
12. The Cardiovascular and Lymphatic System
12a. Special Topic: Cardiovascular Disease
13. Body Defense Mechanisms
13a. Special Topic: Infectious Disease
14. The Respiratory System
15. The Digestive System and Nutrition
15a. Special Topic: Food Safety and Defense
16. The Urinary System
17. Reproductive Systems
17a. Special Topic: Sexually Transmitted Diseases and AIDS
18. Development Through Life
18a. Special Topic: Autism Spectrum Disorder
19. Chromosomes and Cell Division
19a. Special Topic: Stem Cells—A Repair Kit for the Body
20. Genetics and Human Inheritance
21. DNA and Biotechnology
21a. Special Topic: Cancer
22. Evolution and Our Heritage
23. Ecology, The Environment, and Us
24. Human Populations, Limited Resources, and Pollution
This title is also sold in the various packages listed below. Before purchasing one of these packages, speak with your professor about which one will help you be successful in your course.
Package ISBN-13: 9780321870032
Includes this title packaged with:
- Laboratory Manual for Human Biology: Concepts and Current Issues, 7th Edition
Michael D. Johnson, Bert Atsma
$270.00 | Add to Cart
Format: Alternate Binding
This item has been upgraded to Biology of Humans: Concepts, Applications, and Issues, 6th Edition.
Digital Choices ?
MyLab & Mastering with Pearson eText is a complete digital substitute for a print value pack at a lower price.
MyLab & Mastering ?
MyLab & Mastering products deliver customizable content and highly personalized study paths, responsive learning tools, and real-time evaluation and diagnostics. MyLab & Mastering products help move students toward the moment that matters most—the moment of true understanding and learning.
$95.95 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-88657-6
$62.95 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-88656-9
With VitalSource eTextbooks, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Access your course materials on iPad, Android and Kindle devices with VitalSource Bookshelf, the textbook e-reader that helps you read, study and learn brilliantly. Features include:
- See all of your eTextbooks at a glance and access them instantly anywhere, anytime from your Bookshelf - no backpack required.
- Multiple ways to move between pages and sections including linked Table of Contents and Search make navigating eTextbooks a snap.
- Highlight text with one click in your choice of colors. Add notes to highlighted passages. Even subscribe to your classmates' and instructors' highlights and notes to view in your book.
- Scale images and text to any size with multi-level zoom without losing page clarity. Customize your page display and reading experience to create a personal learning experience that best suits you.
- Print only the pages you need within limits set by publisher
- Supports course materials that include rich media and interactivity like videos and quizzes
- Easily copy/paste text passages for homework and papers
- Supports assistive technologies for accessibility by vision and hearing impaired users
$86.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-90126-2
Loose Leaf Version ?
Books a la Carte are less-expensive, loose-leaf versions of the same textbook.
$145.00 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-88669-9