Coleen Belk and Virginia Borden Maier have helped students demystify biology for nearly twenty years in the classroom and nearly ten years with their text, Biology: Science for Life. In the new Fourth Edition, they continue to use stories and current issues, such as discussion of cancer to teach cell division, to connect biology to student’s lives. Learning Outcomes are new to this edition and integrated within the text and MasteringBiology to help professors guide students’ reading and to help students assess their understanding of biology.
A new Chapter 3, “Is It Possible to Supplement Your Way to Better Health? Nutrients and Membrane Transport,” offers an engaging storyline and focused coverage on micro- and macro-nutrients, antioxidants, passive and active transport, and exocytosis and endocytosis.
For instructors who cover Animal Structure and Function and Plant Biology, an alternate edition of this book, Biology: Science for Life with Physiology, is also available.
Table of Contents
1. Can Science Cure the Common Cold? Introduction to the Scientific Method
I. Chemistry and Cells
2. Are We Alone in the Universe? Water, Biochemistry, and Cells
3. Is it Possible to Supplement Your Way to Better Health? Nutrients and Membrane Transport
4. Fat: How Much is Right for You? Enzymes, Metabolism, and Cellular Respiration
5. Life in the Greenhouse–Photosynthesis and Global Warming
6. Cancer–DNA Synthesis, Mitosis, and Meiosis
7. Are You Only as Smart as Your Genes? Mendelian and Quantitative Genetics
8. DNA Detective–Complex Patterns of Inheritance and DNA Fingerprinting
9. Genetically Modified Organisms–Gene Expression, Mutation, and Cloning
10. Where Did We Come From? The Evidence for Evolution
11. An Evolving Enemy–Natural Selection
12. Who am I? Species and Race
13. Prospecting for Biological Gold–Biodiversity and Classification
14. Is the Human Population Too Large? Population Ecology
15. Conserving Biodiversity–Community and Ecosystem Ecology
16. Where Do You Live? Climate and Biomes
Purchase Info ?
With CourseSmart eTextbooks and eResources, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Once you have purchased your eTextbooks and added them to your CourseSmart bookshelf, you can access them anytime, anywhere.
Biology: Science for Life, CourseSmart eTextbook, 4th Edition
Format: Safari Book
$64.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-78730-9