Coleen Belk and Virginia Borden Maier have helped students demystify biology for nearly twenty years in the classroom and nearly ten years with their book, Biology: Science for Life with Physiology. In the new Fourth Edition, they continue to use stories and current issues, such as discussion of cancer to teach cell division, to connect biology to student’s lives. Learning Outcomes are new to this edition and integrated within the book to help professors guide students’ reading and to help students assess their understanding of biology.
A new Chapter 3, “Is It Possible to Supplement Your Way to Better Health? Nutrients and Membrane Transport,” offers an engaging storyline and focused coverage on micro- and macro-nutrients, antioxidants, passive and active transport, and exocytosis and endocytosis.
This package contains:
- Biology: Science for Life with Physiology, Fourth Edition
Table of Contents
I. Chemistry and Cells
2. Are We Alone in the Universe? Water, Biochemistry, and Cells
3. Is it Possible to Supplement Your Way to Better Health? Nutrients and Membrane Transport
4. Fat: How Much is Right for You? Enzymes, Metabolism, and Cellular Respiration
5. Life in the Greenhouse—Photosynthesis and Global Warming
6. Cancer—DNA Synthesis, Mitosis, and Meiosis
7. Are You Only as Smart as Your Genes? Mendelian and Quantitative Genetics
8. DNA Detective—Complex Patterns of Inheritance and DNA Fingerprinting
9. Genetically Modified Organisms—Gene Expression, Mutation, and Cloning
10. Where Did We Come From? The Evidence for Evolution
11. An Evolving Enemy—Natural Selection
12. Who am I? Species and Race
13. Prospecting for Biological Gold—Biodiversity and Classification
14. Is the Human Population Too Large? Population Ecology
15. Conserving Biodiversity—Community and Ecosystem Ecology
16. Where Do You Live? Climate and Biomes
V. Animal Structure and Function
17. Organ Donation—Tissues, Organs, and Organ Systems
18. Clearing the Air—Respiratory, Cardiovascular, and Urinary Systems
19. Vaccinations: Protection and Prevention or Peril? Immune System, Bacteria, Viruses, and Other Pathogens
20. Sex Differences and Athleticism—Endocrine, Skeletal, and Muscular Systems
21. Is There Something in the Water? Reproductive and Developmental Biology
22. Attention Deficit Disorder—Brain Structure and Function
VI. Plant Biology
23. Feeding the World—Plant Structure and Growth
24. Growing a Green Thumb—Plant Physiology
Enhance your learning experience with text-specific study materials.
$25.80 | Add to Cart
$73.33 | Add to Cart
Format: Alternate Binding
This title is currently unavailable on myPearsonStore.
We recommend Biology: Science for Life with Physiology, 5th Edition as a replacement.
Digital Choices ?
MyLab & Mastering with Pearson eText is a complete digital substitute for a print value pack at a lower price.
MyLab & Mastering ?
MyLab & Mastering products deliver customizable content and highly personalized study paths, responsive learning tools, and real-time evaluation and diagnostics. MyLab & Mastering products help move students toward the moment that matters most—the moment of true understanding and learning.
$94.95 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-77425-5
$60.95 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-75629-9
With VitalSource eTextbooks, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Access your course materials on iPad, Android and Kindle devices with VitalSource Bookshelf, the textbook e-reader that helps you read, study and learn brilliantly. Features include:
- See all of your eTextbooks at a glance and access them instantly anywhere, anytime from your Bookshelf - no backpack required.
- Multiple ways to move between pages and sections including linked Table of Contents and Search make navigating eTextbooks a snap.
- Highlight text with one click in your choice of colors. Add notes to highlighted passages. Even subscribe to your classmates' and instructors' highlights and notes to view in your book.
- Scale images and text to any size with multi-level zoom without losing page clarity. Customize your page display and reading experience to create a personal learning experience that best suits you.
- Print only the pages you need within limits set by publisher
- Supports course materials that include rich media and interactivity like videos and quizzes
- Easily copy/paste text passages for homework and papers
- Supports assistive technologies for accessibility by vision and hearing impaired users
Loose Leaf Version ?
Books a la Carte are less-expensive, loose-leaf versions of the same textbook.
$123.40 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-77433-0