ALERT: Before you purchase, check with your instructor or review your course syllabus to ensure that you select the correct ISBN. Several versions of Pearson's MyLab & Mastering products exist for each title, including customized versions for individual schools, and registrations are not transferable. In addition, you may need a CourseID, provided by your instructor, to register for and use Pearson's MyLab & Mastering products.
Access codes for Pearson's MyLab & Mastering products may not be included when purchasing or renting from companies other than Pearson; check with the seller before completing your purchase.
Used or rental books
If you rent or purchase a used book with an access code, the access code may have been redeemed previously and you may have to purchase a new access code.
Access codes that are purchased from sellers other than Pearson carry a higher risk of being either the wrong ISBN or a previously redeemed code. Check with the seller prior to purchase.
The authoritative #1 textbook for introductory majors microbiology, Brock Biology of Microorganisms continues to set the standard for impeccable scholarship, accuracy, and outstanding illustrations and photos. This book for biology, microbiology, and other science majors balances cutting edge research with the concepts essential for understanding the field of microbiology, including strong coverage of ecology, evolution, and metabolism.
The Fourteenth Edition seamlessly integrates the most current science, paying particular attention to molecular biology and how the genomic revolution has changed and is changing the field. This edition offers a streamlined, modern organization with a consistent level of detail and updated, visually compelling art program. Brock Biology of Microorganisms includes MasteringMicrobiology®, an online homework, tutorial, and assessment product designed to improve results by helping students quickly master concepts both in and outside the classroom.
The Fourteenth Edition and MasteringMicrobiology will provide a better teaching and learning experience—for you and your students.
Brock Biology of Microorganisms Plus MasteringMicrobiology is designed to:
- Personalize learning: MasteringMicrobiology coaches students through the toughest microbiology topics. Engaging tools help students visualize, practice, and understand crucial content.
- Focus on today’s learners: Research-based activities, case studies, and engaging activities improve students’ ability to solve problems and make connections between concepts.
- Teach tough topics with superior art and animations: Outstanding animations, illustrations, and micrographs enable students to understand difficult microbiology concepts and processes.
Note: You are purchasing a standalone product; MasteringMicrobiology does not come packaged with this content. If you would like to purchase both the physical text and MasteringMicrobiology search for ISBN-10: 0321897072/ISBN-13: 9780321897077. That package includes ISBN-10: 0321897390/ISBN-13: 9780321897398 and ISBN-10: 0321943732/ISBN-13: 9780321943736.
MasteringMicrobiology is not a self-paced technology and should only be purchased when required by an instructor.
Table of Contents
I. THE FOUNDATIONS OF MICROBIOLOGY
1. Microorganisms and Microbiology
2. Microbial Cell Structure and Function
3. Nutrition, Culture, and Metabolism
4. Molecular Microbiology
5. Microbial Growth and Growth Control
II. GENOMICS, GENETICS, AND VIROLOGY
6. Microbial Genomics
7. Metabolic Regulation
8. Genetics of Bacteria and Archaea
9. Viruses and Virology
10. Genomics and Phylogeny of Viruses
11. Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology
III. METABOLIC AND MICROBIAL DIVERSITY
12. Metabolic Diversity of Bacteria and Archaea
13. Microbial Evolution and Systematics
14. Phylogenetic Diversity of Bacteria
15. Functional and Ecological Diversity of Bacteria
16. Diversity of Archaea
17. Diversity of Microbial Eukarya
IV. MICROBIAL ECOLOGY AND ENVIRONMENTAL MICROBIOLOGY
18. Tools of the Microbial Ecologist
19. Microbial Ecosystems
20. Nutrient Cycles in Nature
21. Microbiology of the Built Environment
22. Microbial Symbioses
V. PATHOGENICITY AND IMMUNOLOGY
23. Microbial Interactions with Humans
24. Principles of Immunology and Host Defense
25. Immune Mechanisms
26. Molecular Immunology
27. Clinical Microbiology and Immunology
VI. INFECTIOUS DISEASES AND THEIR TRANSMISSION
29. Person-to-Person Bacterial and Viral Diseases
30. Vectorborne and Soilborne Bacterial and Viral Diseases
31. Common Source Diseases: Food and Water
32. Fungal and Parasitic Diseases
This title is also sold in the various packages listed below. Before purchasing one of these packages, speak with your professor about which one will help you be successful in your course.
Package ISBN-13: 9780133857276
Includes this title packaged with:
- Modified MasteringMicrobiology with Pearson eText -- ValuePack Access Card -- for Brock Biology of Microorganisms, 14th Edition
Michael T. Madigan, John M. Martinko, Kelly S. Bender, Daniel H. Buckley, David A. Stahl
$244.73 | Add to Cart
Digital Choices ?
MyLab & Mastering with Pearson eText is a complete digital substitute for a print value pack at a lower price.
MyLab & Mastering ?
MyLab & Mastering products deliver customizable content and highly personalized study paths, responsive learning tools, and real-time evaluation and diagnostics. MyLab & Mastering products help move students toward the moment that matters most—the moment of true understanding and learning.
$94.95 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-94832-8
$60.95 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-94319-4
With CourseSmart eTextbooks and eResources, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Once you have purchased your eTextbooks and added them to your CourseSmart bookshelf, you can access them anytime, anywhere.
$96.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-94374-3
Loose Leaf Version ?
Books a la Carte are less-expensive, loose-leaf versions of the same textbook.
$161.47 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-92835-1