The authoritative #1 textbook for introductory majors microbiology, Brock Biology of Microorganisms continues to set the standard for impeccable scholarship, accuracy, and outstanding illustrations and photos. This book for biology, microbiology, and other science majors balances cutting edge research with the concepts essential for understanding the field of microbiology.
In addition to a new co-author, David Stahl, who brings coverage of cutting edge microbial ecology research and symbiosis to a brand new chapter (Chapter 25), a completely revised overview chapter on Immunology (Chapter 28), a new "Big Ideas" section at the end of each chapter, and a wealth of new photos and art make the Thirteenth Edition better than ever. Brock Biology of Microorganisms speaks to today’s students while maintaining the depth and precision science majors need.
Table of Contents
I. PRINCIPLES OF MICROBIOLOGY
1. Microorganisms and Microbiology
2. A Brief Journey to the Microbial World
3. Cell Structure and Function in Bacteria and Archaea
II. METABOLISM AND GROWTH
4. Nutrition, Culture, and Metabolism of Microorganisms
5. Microbial Growth
III. MOLECULAR BIOLOGY AND GENE EXPRESSION
6. Molecular Biology of Bacteria
7. Archael and Eukaryotic Molecular Biology
8. Regulation of Gene Expression
IV. VIROLOGY, GENETICS, AND GENOMICS
9. Viruses and Virology
10. Genetics of Bacteria and Arachaea
11. Genetic Engineering
12. Microbial Genomics
V. METABOLIC DIVERSITY AND COMMERICAL BIOCATALYSES
13. Phototrophy, Chemolithotrophy, and Major Biosyntheses
14. Catabolism of Organic Compounds
15. Commercial Products and Biotechnology
VI. MICROBIAL EVOLUTION AND DIVERSITY
16. Microbial Evolution and Systematics
17. Bacteria: The Proteobacteria
18. Other Bacteria
20. Eukaryotic Cell Biology and Eukaryotic Microorganisms
21. Viral Diversity
VII. Microbial Ecology
22. Methods in Microbial Ecology
23. Major Microbial Habitats and Diversity
24. Nutrient Cycles, Biodegradation, and Bioremediation
25. Microbial Symbioses
VIII. ANTIMICROBIAL AGENTS AND PATHOGENICITY
26. Microbial Growth Control
27. Microbial Interactions with Humans
28. Immunity and Host Defense
29. Immune Mechanisms
30. Molecular Immunology
X. DIAGNOSING AND TRACKING MICROBIAL DISEASES
31. Diagnostic Microbiology and Immunology
XI. HUMAN- AND ANIMAL-TRANSMITTED INFECTIOUS DISEASES
33. Person-to-Person Microbial Diseases
34. Vectorborne and Soilborne Microbial Pathogens
XII. COMMON SOURCE INFECTIOUS DISEASE
35. Wastewater Treatment, Water Purification, and Waterborne Microbial Diseases
36. Food Preservation and Foodborne Microbial Diseases
Appendices 1 and 2
This item has been upgraded to Brock Biology of Microorganisms, 14th Edition.
Digital Choices ?
MyLab & Mastering with Pearson eText is a complete digital substitute for a print value pack at a lower price.
MyLab & Mastering ?
MyLab & Mastering products deliver customizable content and highly personalized study paths, responsive learning tools, and real-time evaluation and diagnostics. MyLab & Mastering products help move students toward the moment that matters most—the moment of true understanding and learning.
$30.00 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-72089-4
$145.90 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-72677-3
With CourseSmart eTextbooks and eResources, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Once you have purchased your eTextbooks and added them to your CourseSmart bookshelf, you can access them anytime, anywhere.
$92.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-72674-2