Helping Today’s Students Learn Microbiology
The authoritative #1 textbook for introductory majors microbiology, Brock Biology of Microorganisms continues to set the standard for impeccable scholarship, accuracy, and outstanding illustrations and photos. This book for biology, microbiology, and other science majors balances cutting edge research with the concepts essential for understanding the field of microbiology, including strong coverage of ecology, evolution, and metabolism.
The Fourteenth Edition seamlessly integrates the most current science, paying particular attention to molecular biology and how the genomic revolution has changed and is changing the field. This edition offers a streamlined, modern organization with a consistent level of detail and updated, visually compelling art program. Brock Biology of Microorganisms includes MasteringMicrobiology®, an online homework, tutorial, and assessment product designed to improve results by helping students quickly master concepts both in and outside the classroom.
This program will provide a better teaching and learning experience—for you and your students.
Brock Biology of Microorganisms Plus MasteringMicrobiology is designed to:
• Personalize learning: MasteringMicrobiology coaches students through the toughest microbiology topics. Engaging tools help students visualize, practice, and understand crucial content.
• Focus on today’s learners: Research-based activities, case studies, and engaging activities improve students’ ability to solve problems and make connections between concepts.
• Teach tough topics with superior art and animations: Outstanding animations, illustrations, and micrographs enable students to understand difficult microbiology concepts and processes.
Table of Contents
I. THE FOUNDATIONS OF MICROBIOLOGY
1. Microorganisms and Microbiology
2. Microbial Cell Structure and Function
3. Nutrition, Culture, and Metabolism
4. Molecular Microbiology
5. Microbial Growth and Growth Control
II. GENOMICS, GENETICS, AND VIROLOGY
6. Microbial Genomics
7. Metabolic Regulation
8. Genetics of Bacteria and Archaea
9. Viruses and Virology
10. Genomics and Phylogeny of Viruses
11. Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology
III. METABOLIC AND MICROBIAL DIVERSITY
12. Metabolic Diversity of Bacteria and Archaea
13. Microbial Evolution and Systematics
14. Phylogenetic Diversity of Bacteria
15. Functional and Ecological Diversity of Bacteria
16. Diversity of Archaea
17. Diversity of Microbial Eukarya
IV. MICROBIAL ECOLOGY AND ENVIRONMENTAL MICROBIOLOGY
18. Tools of the Microbial Ecologist
19. Microbial Ecosystems
20. Nutrient Cycles in Nature
21. Microbiology of the Built Environment
22. Microbial Symbioses
V. PATHOGENICITY AND IMMUNOLOGY
23. Microbial Interactions with Humans
24. Principles of Immunology and Host Defense
25. Immune Mechanisms
26. Molecular Immunology
27. Clinical Microbiology and Immunology
VI. INFECTIOUS DISEASES AND THEIR TRANSMISSION
29. Person-to-Person Bacterial and Viral Diseases
30. Vectorborne and Soilborne Bacterial and Viral Diseases
31. Common Source Diseases: Food and Water
32. Fungal and Parasitic Diseases
Purchase Info ?
With CourseSmart eTextbooks and eResources, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Once you have purchased your eTextbooks and added them to your CourseSmart bookshelf, you can access them anytime, anywhere.
Brock Biology of Microorganisms, CourseSmart eTextbook, 14th Edition
Format: Safari Book
$93.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-92836-8