The Tenth Edition of the best-selling text Campbell BIOLOGY helps launch students to success in biology through its clear and engaging narrative, superior pedagogy, and innovative use of art and photos to promote student learning.
The Tenth Edition helps students develop a deeper understanding of biology by making connections visually across chapters and building the scientific skills needed for success in upper-level courses.
- New Make Connections Figures pull together content from different chapters visually, helping students see “big picture” relationships.
- New Scientific Skills Exercises in every chapter use real data to build key skills needed for biology, including data analysis, graphing, experimental design, and math skills.
- New examples show students how our ability to sequence DNA and proteins rapidly and inexpensively is transforming every subfield of biology.
- A wide variety of new assignment options in MasteringBiology®, the most widely used online homework, tutorial, and assessment program for biology, help students strengthen their understanding of biology and practice science skills.
Table of Contents
1. The Themes of Biology and Scientific Inquiry
I. THE CHEMISTRY OF LIFE
2. The Chemical Context of Life
3. Water and Life
4. Carbon and the Molecular Diversity of Life
5. The Structure and Function of Large Biological Molecules
II. THE CELL
6. A Tour of the Cell
7. Membrane Structure and Function
8. An Introduction to Metabolism
9. Cellular Respiration and Fermentation
11. Cell Communication
12. The Cell Cycle
13. Meiosis and Sexual Life Cycles
14. Mendel and the Gene Idea
15. The Chromosomal Basis of Inheritance
16. The Molecular Basis of Inheritance
17. Gene Expression: From Gene to Protein
18. Regulation of Gene Expression
20. DNA Tools and Biotechnology
21. Genomes and Their Evolution
IV. MECHANISMS OF EVOLUTION
22. Descent with Modification: A Darwinian View of Life
23. The Evolution of Populations
24. The Origin of Species
25. The History of Life on Earth
V. THE EVOLUTIONARY HISTORY OF BIOLOGICAL DIVERSITY
26. Phylogeny and the Tree of Life
27. Bacteria and Archaea
29. Plant Diversity I: How Plants Colonized Land
30. Plant Diversity II: The Evolution of Seed Plants
32. An Overview of Animal Diversity
33. An Introduction to Invertebrates
34. The Origin and Evolution of Vertebrates
VI. PLANT FORM AND FUNCTION
35. Plant Structure, Growth, and Development
36. Resource Acquisition and Transport in Vascular Plants
37. Soil and Plant Nutrition
38. Angiosperm Reproduction and Biotechnology
39. Plant Responses to Internal and External Signals
VII. ANIMAL FORM AND FUNCTION
40. Basic Principles of Animal Form and Function
41. Animal Nutrition
42. Circulation and Gas Exchange
43. The Immune System
44. Osmoregulation and Excretion
45. Hormones and the Endocrine System
46. Animal Reproduction
47. Animal Development
48. Neurons, Synapses, and Signaling
49. Nervous Systems
50. Sensory and Motor Mechanisms
51. Animal Behavior
52. An Introduction to Ecology and the Biosphere
53. Population Ecology
54. Community Ecology
55. Ecosystems and Restoration Ecology
56. Conservation Biology and Global Change
Purchase Info ?
With CourseSmart eTextbooks and eResources, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Once you have purchased your eTextbooks and added them to your CourseSmart bookshelf, you can access them anytime, anywhere.
Campbell Biology, CourseSmart eTextbook, 10th Edition
Format: Safari Book
$98.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-83910-7