Are you a student of education or educator currently in the field seeking answers to challenging behavior in your young students? If your answer is a resounding “Yes!” then you have found your survival guide! Award-winning writers Barbara Kaiser and Judy Sklar Rasminksy have penned the most up-to-date resource for pre- and in-service teachers struggling with the answers to understanding, preventing, and addressing challenging behavior in primary grades and in preschools or child care centers in Challenging Behavior in Young Children: Understanding, Preventing, and Responding Effectively, Third Edition.
Highlighting the importance of relationships, the revised edition provides new background information and additional research-based strategies to enable pre-service and practicing teachers and child care staff to understand, prevent, and respond effectively to challenging behavior. The authors have widened the book’s scope this time around to make this edition just as useful to primary school teachers as it is for preschool educators, furnishing numerous practical, indispensable tips for responding to children’s needs and helping them know what is expected of them. The text stresses that every child has some kind of special need, especially children with challenging behavior, and prevention is the best intervention. The authors have also added material on inclusion, autism, culture, and dual-language learning, as children with disabilities, children from diverse families, and children who speak languages other than English join the classroom mix in greater numbers.
The book retains its personal touch and real-life examples, drawing on Barbara’s three decades in the field, and is replete with in-depth background information, strategies, and evidence-based techniques necessary to help pre-service and practicing teachers understand, prevent, and address the behavior problems found so often in today’s primary schools and child care centers, to work with the most difficult behaviors, and to benefit every child in the classroom. Challenging Behavior in Young Children, Third Edition emphasizes the teacher’s role in the behavior of children, encouraging students and educators to reflect on their own values, feelings, and actions. The result is an invaluable resource for everyone involved in the education of young children.
Table of Contents
Foreword by Sue Bredekamp
CHAPTER 1: What Is Challenging Behavior?
CHAPTER 2: Risk Factors
CHAPTER 3: Protective Factors
CHAPTER 4: Behavior and the Brain
CHAPTER 5: Relationship, Relationship, Relationship
CHAPTER 6: Opening the Culture Door
CHAPTER 7: Preventing Challenging Behavior: The Social Context
CHAPTER 8: Preventing Challenging Behavior: Physical Space, Routines and Transitions, and Teaching Strategies
CHAPTER 9: Guidance
CHAPTER 10: Functional Assessment and Positive Behavior Support
CHAPTER 11: The Inclusive Classroom
CHAPTER 12: Working with Families and Other Experts
CHAPTER 13: Bullying
APPENDIX A: Reflective Checklists for Chapters 7 and 8
This item has been upgraded to Challenging Behavior in Young Children: Understanding, Preventing and Responding Effectively, 4th Edition.
Digital Choices ?
MyLab & Mastering with Pearson eText is a complete digital substitute for a print value pack at a lower price.
With VitalSource eTextbooks, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Access your course materials on iPad, Android and Kindle devices with VitalSource Bookshelf, the textbook e-reader that helps you read, study and learn brilliantly. Features include:
- See all of your eTextbooks at a glance and access them instantly anywhere, anytime from your Bookshelf - no backpack required.
- Multiple ways to move between pages and sections including linked Table of Contents and Search make navigating eTextbooks a snap.
- Highlight text with one click in your choice of colors. Add notes to highlighted passages. Even subscribe to your classmates' and instructors' highlights and notes to view in your book.
- Scale images and text to any size with multi-level zoom without losing page clarity. Customize your page display and reading experience to create a personal learning experience that best suits you.
- Print only the pages you need within limits set by publisher
- Supports course materials that include rich media and interactivity like videos and quizzes
- Easily copy/paste text passages for homework and papers
- Supports assistive technologies for accessibility by vision and hearing impaired users
$21.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-13-300017-7