The Big Picture of Child Development.
The exciting first edition of Child Development: A Topical Approach is arranged in a way that helps students to see the “big picture” of development across the entire span of childhood and adolescence. Offering a modular approach, this text provides a broad overview of the field of child development. It covers major topics such as physical development, cognitive development, and social and personality development.
Child Development captures the discipline of Child Development in a way that excites readers about the field and draws them into its way of looking at the world. The text is rich in examples and illustrates the applications that can be derived from the research and theory of child developmentalists.
MyPscyhLab is an integral part of the Feldman program. Key learning applications include, MyVirtualChild, MyPsychLab video series, and Flashcards.
This text is available in a variety of formats — digital and print. Pearson offers its titles on the devices students love through Pearson’s MyLab products, CourseSmart, Amazon, and more. To learn more about our programs, pricing options and customization, click the Choices tab.
Teaching & Learning Experience
- Personalize Learning – MyPsychLab is an online homework, tutorial, and assessment program. It helps students prepare for class and instructor gauge individual and class performance.
- Improve Critical Thinking -- Review, Check, and Apply Sections – Interspersed throughout each chapter are short recaps of the chapters’ main points, followed by questions designed to provoke mastery of the material and critical thinking.
- Engage Students– Many chapters include an interview with a person working in a field that uses the findings of child and adolescent development. Among those interviewed are a counselor for a treatment center serving teenagers confronting substance abuse, a childcare provider, a neonatal nurse, and a preschool teacher.
- Understand Diversity – “Developmental Diversity and Your Life” sections that highlight issues relevant to today’s multicultural society.
- Explore Research – “From Research to Practice” boxes describe current developmental research or research issues, applied to everyday problems.
- Support Instructors– All supplements were developed around the textbook’s carefully constructed learning objectives.
Table of Contents
Brief Table of Contents
Chapter 1: An Orientation to Child Development
Chapter 2: Research in Child Development
Foundations of Development
Chapter 3: Genetics and Prenatal Development
Chapter 4: Birth and the Newborn Infant
Chapter 5: Physical Growth and Health
Chapter 6: Cognitive Development: Piaget and Vygotsky
Chapter 7: Cognitive Development: Information Processing
Chapter 8: Language Development
Chapter 9: Intelligence
Social and Personality Development
Chapter 10: Social and Emotional Development
Chapter 11: Development of the Self
Chapter 12: Gender
Chapter 13: Moral Development and Aggression
Living with Others
Chapter 14: Friends and FamilyChapter 15: Schooling, Culture, and Society: Living in a Multicultural World
This title is also sold in the various packages listed below. Before purchasing one of these packages, speak with your professor about which one will help you be successful in your course.
Digital Choices ?
MyLab & Mastering with Pearson eText is a complete digital substitute for a print value pack at a lower price.
MyLab & Mastering ?
MyLab & Mastering products deliver customizable content and highly personalized study paths, responsive learning tools, and real-time evaluation and diagnostics. MyLab & Mastering products help move students toward the moment that matters most—the moment of true understanding and learning.
$83.65 | ISBN-13: 978-0-205-94885-7
$61.65 | ISBN-13: 978-0-205-94886-4
With VitalSource eTextbooks, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Access your course materials on iPad, Android and Kindle devices with VitalSource Bookshelf, the textbook e-reader that helps you read, study and learn brilliantly. Features include:
- See all of your eTextbooks at a glance and access them instantly anywhere, anytime from your Bookshelf - no backpack required.
- Multiple ways to move between pages and sections including linked Table of Contents and Search make navigating eTextbooks a snap.
- Highlight text with one click in your choice of colors. Add notes to highlighted passages. Even subscribe to your classmates' and instructors' highlights and notes to view in your book.
- Scale images and text to any size with multi-level zoom without losing page clarity. Customize your page display and reading experience to create a personal learning experience that best suits you.
- Print only the pages you need within limits set by publisher
- Supports course materials that include rich media and interactivity like videos and quizzes
- Easily copy/paste text passages for homework and papers
- Supports assistive technologies for accessibility by vision and hearing impaired users
$76.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-205-95081-2
Loose Leaf Version ?
Books a la Carte are less-expensive, loose-leaf versions of the same textbook.
$128.00 | ISBN-13: 978-0-205-94768-3