Child Development and Education bridges the gap between theory and practice, showing those who teach and care for infants, children, and adolescents how to apply developmental research and theory to everyday practice. More so than any other text, Child Development and Education not only describes developmental phenomena--for infants through late adolescence--but also faciliates observations of and analyses of what children say, do, and create, ensuring that educators can make informed decisions that meet children's and adolescent's needs.
New to the fifth edition is a sensitvity to the cultural and bioecological nature of development. New features of the text situate children and adolescents in the contexts of their upbringing and articulate the implications of these experiences for educators and other professionals. Illustrated is the diverse nature of development and how it is influenced by social, environmental, and cultural contexts.
Also new to this edition is support for teacher licensure preparation. Teacher candidates are alerted to developmental concepts and theorists they need to know, and are provided practice test questions and case studies to review, demonstrating for them how to prepare for their licensure exam.
Table of Contents
Part 1: Foundations in Child Development
Chapter 1: Making a Difference in the Lives of Children and Adolescents
Chapter 2: Using Research to Understand Children and Adolescents
Chapter 3: Family, Culture, and Community
Part 2: Biological Development
Chapter 4: Biological Beginnings
Chapter 5: Physical Development
Part 3: Cognitive Development
Chapter 6: Cognitive Development: Piaget and Vygotsky
Chapter 7: Cognitive Development: Cognitive Processes
Chapter 8: Intelligence
Chapter 9: Language Development
Chapter 10: Development in the Academic Domains
Part 4: Social and Emotional Development
Chapter 11: Emotional Development
Chapter 12: Development of Self and Social Understandings
Chapter 13: Development of Motivation and Self-Regulation
Chapter 14: Moral Development
Chapter 15: Peers, Schools, and Society
This title is currently unavailable on myPearsonStore.
We recommend Child Development and Education, Enhanced Pearson eText with Loose-Leaf Version -- Access Card Package, 6th Edition as a replacement.
Digital Choices ?
MyLab & Mastering with Pearson eText is a complete digital substitute for a print value pack at a lower price.
With VitalSource eTextbooks, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Access your course materials on iPad, Android and Kindle devices with VitalSource Bookshelf, the textbook e-reader that helps you read, study and learn brilliantly. Features include:
- See all of your eTextbooks at a glance and access them instantly anywhere, anytime from your Bookshelf - no backpack required.
- Multiple ways to move between pages and sections including linked Table of Contents and Search make navigating eTextbooks a snap.
- Highlight text with one click in your choice of colors. Add notes to highlighted passages. Even subscribe to your classmates' and instructors' highlights and notes to view in your book.
- Scale images and text to any size with multi-level zoom without losing page clarity. Customize your page display and reading experience to create a personal learning experience that best suits you.
- Print only the pages you need within limits set by publisher
- Supports course materials that include rich media and interactivity like videos and quizzes
- Easily copy/paste text passages for homework and papers
- Supports assistive technologies for accessibility by vision and hearing impaired users