The fourth edition of Choosing Democracy continues to analyze the standards movement and high stakes testing, bringing this reform initiative up to date, as well as examining its effect on multicultural education. The text maintains its critical analysis of culture, race, class and gender as these apply to schools; and provides strategies, lessons, and resources for classroom use. This edition further develops the central role of democracy in multicultural education and offers new materials on gang behavior and bullying. A new section in Chapter 12 deals with the many ways teachers can use the Internet to assist students and supplement traditional teaching materials.
NEW! Chapter 12 has been substantially revised to become a Multicultural Curriculum chapter including the issues of standards and test-based accountability in this era of reform. The chapter will help teachers looking to make changes to their curriculum. This chapter also includes coverage of the limits of some assessments.
Table of Contents
Part I: The Social, Economic, and Cultural Foundations of the Current School Crisis
1. Democracy and the Need for Multicultural Education
2. Culture and Schooling
3. Racism and Schools
4. With Liberty and Justice for Some: Democracy, Class Relations, and Schools
5. How Society and Schools Shortchange Girls and Boys
Part II: Teaching Strategies to Promote Democracy and Multicultural Education
6. Human Relations and Multicultural Education
7. Teaching to Empower Students
8. Democracy and Classroom Management
9. Promoting Democracy and Critical Thinking
10. Cooperative Learning, Democracy, and Multicultural Education
11. Teaching Language-Minority Populations
Part III: The Dialogue Between Democracy and Multicultural Education
12. Democracy, Curriculum, and Multicultural Education
With CourseSmart eTextbooks and eResources, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Once you have purchased your eTextbooks and added them to your CourseSmart bookshelf, you can access them anytime, anywhere.
$55.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-13-503489-7