A comprehensive introduction to urban sociology
Cities and Urban Life, written by two of the best-known authors in the field, provides a comprehensive introduction to urban sociology, urban anthropology and urban studies.
The focus of the text is sociological, but it also incorporates research and theory from other disciplines.
Upon completing this book, readers will be able to:
- Understand how cities and urban life vary according to time and place
- Understand how cities reflect society and culture
- Use a global perspective to explore urban sociology
- Explore how cities reflect the human condition
Note: MySearchLab with eText does not come automatically packaged with this text. To purchase MySearchLab, please visit:
www.mysearchlab.com or you can purchase a valuepack of the text + MySearchLab (at no additional cost): ValuePack ISBN-10:
0205902588 / ValuePack ISBN-13: 9780205902583
Table of Contents
PART I UNDERSTANDING THE CITY: ITS ORIGIN AND DEVELOPMENT
Chapter 1: Exploring the City
Chapter 2: The Origins and Development of the World’s Cities
Chapter 3: The Development of North American Cities
Chapter 4: Today’s Cities and Suburbs
PART II: DISCIPLINARY PERSPECTIVES
Chapter 5: Urban Sociology: Classic and Modern Statements
Chapter 6: Spatial Perspectives: Making Sense of Space
Chapter 7: Critical Urban Sociology: The City and Capitalism
Chapter 8: Social Psychology: The Urban Experience
Chapter 9: Comparative Urbanism: The City and Culture
PART III: THE STRUCTURE OF THE CITY
Chapter 10: Stratification and Social Class: Urban and Suburban Lifestyles
Chapter 11: Race, Ethnicity, and Gender: Urban Diversity
Chapter 12: Housing, Education, Crime: Confronting Urban Problems
PART IV: GLOBAL URBAN DEVELOPMENTS
Chapter 13: Cities in the Developing World
Chapter 14: Planning the Urban Environment
Digital Choices ?
MyLab & Mastering with Pearson eText is a complete digital substitute for a print value pack at a lower price.
MyLab & Mastering ?
MyLab & Mastering products deliver customizable content and highly personalized study paths, responsive learning tools, and real-time evaluation and diagnostics. MyLab & Mastering products help move students toward the moment that matters most—the moment of true understanding and learning.
$56.00 | ISBN-13: 978-0-205-21403-7
With VitalSource eTextbooks, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Access your course materials on iPad, Android and Kindle devices with VitalSource Bookshelf, the textbook e-reader that helps you read, study and learn brilliantly. Features include:
- See all of your eTextbooks at a glance and access them instantly anywhere, anytime from your Bookshelf - no backpack required.
- Multiple ways to move between pages and sections including linked Table of Contents and Search make navigating eTextbooks a snap.
- Highlight text with one click in your choice of colors. Add notes to highlighted passages. Even subscribe to your classmates' and instructors' highlights and notes to view in your book.
- Scale images and text to any size with multi-level zoom without losing page clarity. Customize your page display and reading experience to create a personal learning experience that best suits you.
- Print only the pages you need within limits set by publisher
- Supports course materials that include rich media and interactivity like videos and quizzes
- Easily copy/paste text passages for homework and papers
- Supports assistive technologies for accessibility by vision and hearing impaired users
$65.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-205-92099-0