This fully-updated text is designed to build the skill sets students need to succeed as members of today’s civil litigation teams. CIVIL LITIGATION: PROCESS AND PROCEDURES, 2/e clearly presents legal concepts, emphasizing the details of the litigation process, critical thinking, and hands-on exercises that develop practical law office skills. Students will gain real-world procedural skills, master electronic discovery and court rules; learn how to handle ethical challenges in civil litigation practice; and develop a professional employment portfolio. This edition includes 46 video case studies that illustrate each stage of the litigation process, showing the day-to-day activities of the litigation team preparing and trying a civil case in a real world setting. Extensive assignment-related case materials and documents are provided in the text and online.
Table of Contents
UNIT ONE INTRODUCTION TO CIVIL LITIGATION
CHAPTER 1 The Paralegal in Civil Litigation
CHAPTER 1A Building Your Professional Portfolio
CHAPTER 2 Ethics and Professional Responsibility
CHAPTER 3 Litigation Management and Technology
UNIT TWO PLANNING THE LITIGATION
CHAPTER 4 The Court System
CHAPTER 5 Settlement and Alternative Dispute Resolution
CHAPTER 6 Evidence
CHAPTER 7 Interviews and Investigation in Civil Litigation
UNIT THREE DOCUMENTS IN CIVIL LITIGATION
CHAPTER 8 Pleadings: Complaint, Summons, and Service
CHAPTER 9 Motions Practice
CHAPTER 10 Pleadings: Responses to Complaint
UNIT FOUR FORMAL DISCOVERY METHODS
CHAPTER 11 Introduction to Discovery
CHAPTER 12 Issues in Electronic Discovery
CHAPTER 13 Interrogatories and Requests for Production
CHAPTER 14 Depositions
CHAPTER 15 Other Forms of Discovery
UNIT FIVE TRIAL OF THE CASE
CHAPTER 16 Trial Preparation—Postdiscovery to Pretrial
CHAPTER 17 Trial
CHAPTER 18 The Electronic Courtroom and Trial Presentation
UNIT SIX POSTTRIAL ISSUES
CHAPTER 19 Posttrial Procedures
CHAPTER 20 Enforcement of Judgments
APPENDIX 1 Chapter Opening Case Study
APPENDIX 2 Comprehensive Case Study: School Bus–Truck Accident Case Study
APPENDIX 3 Supplemental Case Studies
APPENDIX 4 Glossary of Spanish Equivalents for Important Legal Terms
These online resources are available at no cost.
Companion Website for Civil Litigation: Process and Procedures, 2nd Edition
Format: Alternate Binding
This title is currently unavailable on myPearsonStore.
We recommend Civil Litigation: Process and Procedures, 3rd Edition as a replacement.
Digital Choices ?
MyLab & Mastering with Pearson eText is a complete digital substitute for a print value pack at a lower price.
MyLab & Mastering ?
MyLab & Mastering products deliver customizable content and highly personalized study paths, responsive learning tools, and real-time evaluation and diagnostics. MyLab & Mastering products help move students toward the moment that matters most—the moment of true understanding and learning.
$15.00 | ISBN-13: 978-0-13-237503-0
With VitalSource eTextbooks, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Access your course materials on iPad, Android and Kindle devices with VitalSource Bookshelf, the textbook e-reader that helps you read, study and learn brilliantly. Features include:
- See all of your eTextbooks at a glance and access them instantly anywhere, anytime from your Bookshelf - no backpack required.
- Multiple ways to move between pages and sections including linked Table of Contents and Search make navigating eTextbooks a snap.
- Highlight text with one click in your choice of colors. Add notes to highlighted passages. Even subscribe to your classmates' and instructors' highlights and notes to view in your book.
- Scale images and text to any size with multi-level zoom without losing page clarity. Customize your page display and reading experience to create a personal learning experience that best suits you.
- Print only the pages you need within limits set by publisher
- Supports course materials that include rich media and interactivity like videos and quizzes
- Easily copy/paste text passages for homework and papers
- Supports assistive technologies for accessibility by vision and hearing impaired users