This text is a part of the Advancing Core Competencies series.
Clinical Social Work Supervision: Practice and Process presents a developmental model of supervision that helps supervisors meet the challenges of working with clinicians at different levels, and allows adaptations to style and focus as clinicians grow and change over time.
A better teaching and learning experience
This program will provide a better teaching and learning experience--for you and your students. Here's how:
- Improve Critical Thinking — Students arechallenged to examine their own values, increase their self awareness, and put into practice the concepts discussed.
- Engage Students — Tools and tips, case examples and charts that cover all aspects of clinical supervision.
- Explore Current Issues — Information and tools for handling the management aspects of supervision–from hiring, evaluation, and disciplining of staff; ethics and liability issues; effective time management; self-care.
- Apply CSWE Core Competencies - The text applies the 2008 CSWE EPAS, with critical thinking questions and practice tests to advance student competency.
- Support Instructors — An Instructor’s Manual and Test Bank, Computerized Test Bank (MyTest), Blackboard Test Item File, and PowerPoint presentations are included in the outstanding supplements package.
Table of Contents
IN THIS SECTION:
1.) BRIEF TABLE OF CONTENTS
2.) FULL TABLE OF CONTENTS
BRIEF TABLE OF CONTENTS:
Chapter 1: The Challenges of Social Work Supervision
Chapter 2: Laying the Foundation — Part 1
Chapter 3: Laying the Foundation — Part 2
Chapter 4: Stage One: Supervisor as Teacher
Chapter 5: Stage Two: Supervisor as Guide
Chapter 6: Stage Three: Supervisor as Gatekeeper
Chapter 7: Stage Four: Supervisor as Consultant
Chapter 8: Supervisory Tools and Techniques
Chapter 9: Supervisory Process
Chapter 10: Supervision and Groups
Chapter 11: Supervision of Supervision
Chapter 12: Management: Hire / Fire & Everything In-Between
Chapter 13: Ethics and Liability
Chapter 14: Staying Creative: Self Care for the Long Haul
FULL TABLE OF CONTENTS:
Chapter 1 The Challenges of Social Work Supervision
The Challenges of Clinical Supervision
Models of Clinical Supervision
Core Principles of The Four-Stage Supervisory Model
Goals of This Book
Chapter 2 Laying the Foundation – Part 1
Anxiety Coping Styles
Anxiety and Relationships
Anxiety and the Clinician
Chapter 3 Laying the Foundation – Part 2
The Relationship Triangle
The Big 6
A Guided Imagery Exercise
Chapter 4 Stage One: Supervisor as Teacher
Characteristics of Stage One
Stage One Supervisory Goals and Tasks
Confronting and Managing Anxiety
Supervision versus Therapy
Stage One Challenges & Dangers
Stage One and the Experienced Clinician
Putting It All Together
Chapter 5 Stage Two: Supervisor as Guide
Characteristics of Stage Two
Supervisory Goals of Stage Two
Impasses, Intimacy, and Dependency
Stage Two Challenges & Dangers
Moving In and Out the Other Side
Chapter 6 Stage Three: Supervisor as Gatekeeper
Characteristics of Stage Three
Growing Up and Out
Supervisory Goals and Tasks
Challenges & Dangers of the Third Stage
Chapter 7 Stage Four: Supervisor as Consultant
Growing Up – Stage Four Characteristics
Supervisory Goals and Tasks
Stage Four Challenges & Dangers
Moving Towards Integration
Moving Through the Four Stages – Summary of the Process
Chapter 8 Supervisory Tools and Techniques
Running the Session
Recordkeeping and Documentation
Recordings – Learning to See and Hear
Readings, Training Recordings
Training Programs and Conferences
Chapter 9 Supervisory Process
Session with Amy
Session with Marcus
Session with Maria
Session Process Redux
Chapter 10 Supervision and Group
Types of Groups
Setting Structure, Facilitating Process
Group Problems: Playing Out Roles
Coming Together – A Summary
Chapter 11 Supervision of Supervision
Transitions and Challenges
Qualities: What to Look For in a New Supervisor
Developing Skills – The New Supervisor Curriculum
Putting Knowledge into Action
Shaping the Supervision of Supervision Process
Being a Supervisor of Supervisors
Chapter 12 Management: Hire / Fire & Everything In-Between
Time and Tasks
Hiring: The Preparation
Hiring: The Process
Holding Steady: Disciplinary Action
Termination: Managing the Process
Chapter 13 Ethics and Liability
Ethics: Cooperative, Protective, and Intentional
Liability / Legal Issues
Ethics and Liability Guidelines
Chapter 14 Staying Creative: Self Care for the Long Haul
Supervision and Support
Self Assessment: The Bigger Picture
Run Towards What You Fear
Training as Expansion
Making Work Effective, Efficient, and Enjoyable
Staying Creative – The Why Question
This title is currently unavailable on myPearsonStore.
Digital Choices ?
MyLab & Mastering with Pearson eText is a complete digital substitute for a print value pack at a lower price.
MyLab & Mastering ?
MyLab & Mastering products deliver customizable content and highly personalized study paths, responsive learning tools, and real-time evaluation and diagnostics. MyLab & Mastering products help move students toward the moment that matters most—the moment of true understanding and learning.
$55.55 | ISBN-13: 978-0-205-85992-4
With VitalSource eTextbooks, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Access your course materials on iPad, Android and Kindle devices with VitalSource Bookshelf, the textbook e-reader that helps you read, study and learn brilliantly. Features include:
- See all of your eTextbooks at a glance and access them instantly anywhere, anytime from your Bookshelf - no backpack required.
- Multiple ways to move between pages and sections including linked Table of Contents and Search make navigating eTextbooks a snap.
- Highlight text with one click in your choice of colors. Add notes to highlighted passages. Even subscribe to your classmates' and instructors' highlights and notes to view in your book.
- Scale images and text to any size with multi-level zoom without losing page clarity. Customize your page display and reading experience to create a personal learning experience that best suits you.
- Print only the pages you need within limits set by publisher
- Supports course materials that include rich media and interactivity like videos and quizzes
- Easily copy/paste text passages for homework and papers
- Supports assistive technologies for accessibility by vision and hearing impaired users