For courses in Orientation to College for Student-Athletes.
Developed and written specifically for student-athletes, this reader-friendly guide offers practical strategies for succeeding in college. Filled with sage and tested advice, the book addresses the most salient academic, personal, and career issues affecting college athletes–from scheduling and time management to maintaining academic motivation and personal well-being. With a meaningful foreword by NCAA President, Myles Brand, the book speaks to the reader from “both sides of the desk” by providing tips from 35 academically successful student-athletes, as well as time-tested advice from two faculty members (the authors) with decades of experience teaching and mentoring college athletes. A valuable resource for anyone entering or soon to enter the world of college athletics, and their advisors, counselors, coaches, and parents, this book uses an inviting format to pack suggestions and tips into practical advice that can guide one’s path to success.
Table of Contents
FOREWORD: Myles Brand, NCAA President
- Welcome to College
- “I Can Do It!” The Power of a Positive Academic Mind-Set
- Making the Most of Campus Resources
- Finding the Time to Succeed
- Scheduling for Success and for Enjoyment
- Choosing a Major: What Do You Want to Do With Your Life and How Do You Get There?
- Playing to Win in the Classroom
- Scoring Points with Faculty
- Learning to Study and Studying to Learn
- Delivering at Crunch Time: Doing Your Best on Exams
- Mind-Body Connection: Taking Good Care of Yourself
- Moving On: Transitions After Eligibility and College
Profiles of Featured Student-Athletes
About the Authors
With CourseSmart eTextbooks and eResources, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Once you have purchased your eTextbooks and added them to your CourseSmart bookshelf, you can access them anytime, anywhere.
$15.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-13-501252-9