The trusted guide to clinical periodontics.
Comprehensive Periodontics for the Dental Hygienist, 4/e provides concise coverage of the foundations of periodontics. This text is a helpful introduction for dental hygiene students and a valuable resource for practicing hygienists. Coverage includes the clinical aspects of periodontics, including surgical and nonsurgical procedures, and presents material in a clear and accessible format. Anchored in evidence-based learning, chapters provide simple explanations of many of the complexities of the dental disease process and provide clear links to practical aspects of therapy.
Teaching and Learning Experience
This text offers a clear and accessible introduction to periodontics. It provides:
- Clear links between theory and practice: Discussions and textbook features help readers connect chapter material to real applications.
- Preparation for national board exams: Resources follow the content and format of national board exams.
- Effective learning resources: Numerous references and review tools helps students truly master chapter material.
Table of Contents
PART I—Periodontal Diseases: Introduction and Background
1 Anatomy of the Periodontal Structures: The Healthy State
2 Epidemiology of Periodontal Diseases
PART II—Periodontal Diseases: Etiology
3 Dental Biofilm: Microbiology of the Periodontium in Health and Disease
4 Bacterial and the Host Response: Inflammatory and Immunology Fundamentals
5 Local Contributory Factors for Periodontal Diseases
6 The Oral-Systemic Disease Connection
PART III—Periodontal Diseases: Classification
7 Gingival Diseases
8 Periodontitis and Other Periodontal Conditions
9 Necrotizing Periodontal Diseases
10 Occlusal Trauma
11 Acute Periodontal Conditions
PART IV—Periodontal Diseases: The Assessment Phase
12 Dental Hygiene Process of Care for the Patient with Periodontal Disease
13 Patient History
14 Clinical Examination: Extraoral/Intraoral Examination and Dental Evaluation
15 Clinical Examination: Gingival Assessment
16 Clinical Examination: Periodontal Assessment
17 Radiographic Assessment
18 Advances in Diagnostic Testing for Periodontal Diseases
PART V—Periodontal Diseases: Treatment Planning, Implementation, and Evaluation Phase
19 Problem and Evidence-Based Treatment Planning
20 Oral Hygiene for the Periodontal Patient: Beyond the Basics
21 Nonsurgical Periodontal Therapy
22 Periodontal Maintenance Therapy
23 Topical Drug Delivery Systems
24 Systemic and Local Drug Delivery Systems: Systemic Antibiotics, Local Drug Devices, and Enzyme Suppression Therapy
25 Principles of Periodontal Surgery: Gingivectomy, Osseous Resection, and Periodontal Plastic Surgery
26 Principles of Periodontal Surgery: Periodontal Regeneration
28 Case Studies
A Periodontal Information Resources
B Reading the Literature
C Antibiotic Prophylaxis
D Smoking Cessation
These online resources are available at no cost.
Student Resources Page for Comprehensive Periodontics for the Dental Hygienist, 4th Edition
Digital Choices ?
MyLab & Mastering with Pearson eText is a complete digital substitute for a print value pack at a lower price.
With VitalSource eTextbooks, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Access your course materials on iPad, Android and Kindle devices with VitalSource Bookshelf, the textbook e-reader that helps you read, study and learn brilliantly. Features include:
- See all of your eTextbooks at a glance and access them instantly anywhere, anytime from your Bookshelf - no backpack required.
- Multiple ways to move between pages and sections including linked Table of Contents and Search make navigating eTextbooks a snap.
- Highlight text with one click in your choice of colors. Add notes to highlighted passages. Even subscribe to your classmates' and instructors' highlights and notes to view in your book.
- Scale images and text to any size with multi-level zoom without losing page clarity. Customize your page display and reading experience to create a personal learning experience that best suits you.
- Print only the pages you need within limits set by publisher
- Supports course materials that include rich media and interactivity like videos and quizzes
- Easily copy/paste text passages for homework and papers
- Supports assistive technologies for accessibility by vision and hearing impaired users
$46.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-13-382444-5