Upon completing this course, readers will be able to:
- Master the basic theoretical paradigms upon which all contemporary social theory is built.
- Become familiar with the elements that have defined contemporary social theory and the central ideas of those who contributed these theoretical elements.
- Survey the subject matter of contemporary social thought and be able to relate theory to current social and cultural issues.
- Critically assess and appraise contemporary theory and its value in explaining social phenomenia.
- Use theory in their own examination of contemporary social issues.
Table of Contents
Chapter 1: Antecedents to Contemporary Social Theory
Chapter 2: Structuralism and Beyond
Chapter 3: Hermeneutics and Phenomenology
Chapter 4: Poststructuralism and Social Theory
Chapter 5: Exploding the Boundaries of Reason: Postmodernity
Chapter 6: Feminist Social Theory
Chapter 7: Cultural Studies and Cultural Theory
Chapter 8: Postcolonial Theory and Globalization
Chapter 9: Gender and Queer Theory
Chapter 10: Race Theory
With CourseSmart eTextbooks and eResources, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Once you have purchased your eTextbooks and added them to your CourseSmart bookshelf, you can access them anytime, anywhere.
Contemporary Social Theory, CourseSmart eTextbook
Format: Electronic Book
$22.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-205-64621-0