Long respected as the market-leading text in content area literacy, this book gives pre- and in-service teachers an ambitious, coherent, and workable exploration of content literacy to take into their classrooms to improve reading and writing for all students. Comprehensible and accessible, Content Area Reading: Literacy and Learning Across the Curriculum, 11/e shows teachers how to use literacy-related instructional strategies to help students think and learn with both print and digital texts. The new Eleventh Edition emphasizes the comprehensive content focus of previous editions, including an ever-expanding knowledge base in the areas of literacy, cognition and learning, educational policy, new literacies and technologies, and student diversity. Chapter content has been upgraded to reflect current theory, research, and practice related to content literacy and learning in disciplines.
Video-Enhanced Pearson eText. Included in this package is access to the new Video-Enhanced eText for Content Area Reading exclusively from Pearson. The Video-Enhanced Pearson eText is:
- Engaging. Full-color online chapters include dynamic videos that show what course concepts look like in real classrooms, model good teaching practice, and expand upon chapter concepts. Video links, chosen by our authors and other subject-matter experts, are embedded right in context of the content you are reading
- Convenient. Enjoy instant online access from your computer or download the Pearson eText App to read on or offline on your iPad and Android tablets.*
- Interactive. Features include embedded video, note taking and sharing, highlighting and search.
- Affordable. Experience all these advantages of the Video-Enhanced eText along with all the benefits of print for 40% to 50% less than a print bound book.
*The Pearson eText App is available for free on Google Play and in the App Store.* Requires Android OS 3.1 — 4, a 7” or 10” tablet or iPad iOS 5.0 or newer
Table of Contents
- Literacy Matters
- Learning with New Literacies
- Culturally Responsive Teaching in Diverse Classrooms
- Assessing Students and Texts
- Planning Instruction for Content Literacy
- Activating Prior Knowledge and Interest
- Guiding Reading Comprehension
- Developing Vocabulary and Concepts
- Writing Across the Curriculum
- Studying Text
- Learning with Trade Books
- Supporting Effective Teaching with Professional Development