For educators: teachers, administrative leaders, literacy coaches, ELL specialists, special educators, media specialists, reading teachers, and content area teachers.
For professors and students in education
For homeschool providers
About the Program:
Core Ready is a dynamic series of books providing educators with critical tools for navigating the Common Core Standards effectively, fluidly, and successfully. In the pages of these books, readers see how to take complex concepts related to the standards and turn them into practical, specific, everyday lessons.
The series is founded on the author’s 4 Doors to Core Ready, an easy to use yet strikingly brilliant way to access and organize all of the content within the standards:
- The Journey to Meaning: Comprehension and Critique
- The Shape of Story: Yesterday and Today
- The Road to Knowledge: Information and Research
- The Power to Persuade: Opinion and Argument
The foundational book in the series, Core Ready: Teach, Lead, and Inspire Every Student for Literacy Standards Success, provides the cornerstone plan for successfully reaching all students and inspiring them to become Core Ready scholars. The books that follow provide daily lessons that, when taught in total, ensure a standards-aligned year of joyful, effective, research-based literacy curriculum.
Students in The Core Ready Program will:
- Receive the highest quality literacy education via outstanding lesson sets combining reading, writing, speaking and listening, and language use--all driving towards the standards.
- Meet and exceed the core standards.
- Engage with their families and teachers as Core Ready partners.
- Make content-area connections for reading, writing, using language, speaking and listening.
- Incorporate new media in reading, writing, using language, speaking and listening expertly.
- Experience the pleasure, value, and lasting impact of great literature through the highest levels of close reading and in collaborative reading groups.
- Navigate complex informational texts.
- Critique and analyze texts across all genres.
- Master strategies for engaging with complex text to break through from struggle to success.
- Use persuasive writing skills to master the craft of argument.
- Master the art of writing to marshal evidence for a big idea.
- Harness the power of writing to convey ideas about reading.
- Come to know themselves as readers, writers, speakers, and listeners through quality performance based assessments.
- Become lifelong readers, writers, speakers and listeners with college and career ready goals.
The Core Ready program offers a groundbreaking, dignified approach to working with ELL students that exposes English Language Learners to rich text, gives ample opportunities to discuss and argue, and challenges them to write for real purposes. Core Ready offers educators the scaffolding strategies and implementation support to make this a reality.
About this book:
The Journey to Meaning: Comprehension and Critiqueis one of the 4 Doors to Core Ready for the standards-serious student and teacher. It is a rich day-to-day, step-by-step guide for helping all students become Core Ready. Using the books in The Core Ready Program, readers see how to turn the standards into meaningful instruction and learning.
Enter through this door to in the Core Ready program to bring comprehension, critique and composition of literary texts to the classroom. This book specifically encompasses the strategies and skills all students need to comprehend, critique, and compose literary texts as outlined in the Common Core State Standards.
It guides readers through three rich and dynamic lesson sets:
Grade 3: Mirrors and Windows: Exploring Characters in Reading and Writing
Grade 4: Point of View: Drama and Prose
Grade 5: What’s the Point?: Theme in Short Text, Poetry, and Son g
The lesson sets use high quality texts from diverse genres—drama, prose, short text, poetry, and song—to develop critical thinking skills and help students dive deeply into the text to uncover character complexity, central themes, messages, and meaning. The use of quality literature and teacher modeling inspires them to compose their own writing
Core Ready also supports all diverse learners. Special needs students are deeply valued and coached in the Core Ready classroom. The lessons and approach help them to reach and exceed standards. The attention to diverse learners is powerful and profound and will deeply inspire.
Table of Contents
Mirrors and Windows: Exploring Characters in Reading and Writing
Point of View: Drama and Prose
“What’s the Point?”: Theme in Short Text, Poetry, and Song
With CourseSmart eTextbooks and eResources, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Once you have purchased your eTextbooks and added them to your CourseSmart bookshelf, you can access them anytime, anywhere.
$17.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-13-309321-6