This new introductory text gives students and instructors what they need–a comprehensive look at corrections in a readable, engaging format. CORRECTIONS: A BRIEF INTRODUCTION is specifically designed to appeal to different learning styles and hold students’ interest. The text examines how evidence-based practices are used in corrections and how theory is linked to treatment and punishment of offenders, and encourages critical thinking about community corrections, prison life, treatment of offenders, reentry, legal issues, the death penalty, and juveniles in corrections. Corrections is ideal for instructors who want comprehensive yet concise coverage of the basic required topics in a corrections course.
Table of Contents
1 An Evidence-Based Approach to Corrections
2 Why Do We Punish?
3 Correctional Practices from Ancient to Contemporary Times
5 Community Supervision
6 Jails and Pretrial Release
7 Managing Prisons and Prisoners
8 Prison Life
9 Special Correctional Populations
10 Reentry Programs and Institutional Release
11 Legal Issues in Corrections
12 Capital Punishment
13 Juvenile Corrections
14 Revisiting Evidence-Based Practices and What Works
This title is also sold in the various packages listed below. Before purchasing one of these packages, speak with your professor about which one will help you be successful in your course.
Format: Alternate Binding
This title is currently unavailable on myPearsonStore.
We recommend Corrections (Justice Series), 2nd Edition as a replacement.
Digital Choices ?
MyLab & Mastering with Pearson eText is a complete digital substitute for a print value pack at a lower price.
With VitalSource eTextbooks, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Access your course materials on iPad, Android and Kindle devices with VitalSource Bookshelf, the textbook e-reader that helps you read, study and learn brilliantly. Features include:
- See all of your eTextbooks at a glance and access them instantly anywhere, anytime from your Bookshelf - no backpack required.
- Multiple ways to move between pages and sections including linked Table of Contents and Search make navigating eTextbooks a snap.
- Highlight text with one click in your choice of colors. Add notes to highlighted passages. Even subscribe to your classmates' and instructors' highlights and notes to view in your book.
- Scale images and text to any size with multi-level zoom without losing page clarity. Customize your page display and reading experience to create a personal learning experience that best suits you.
- Print only the pages you need within limits set by publisher
- Supports course materials that include rich media and interactivity like videos and quizzes
- Easily copy/paste text passages for homework and papers
- Supports assistive technologies for accessibility by vision and hearing impaired users