Corrections in America has been the best-selling text in the field since the 1970s. The 13th edition continues its established tradition of comprehensive, student-friendly coverage with extensive supplemental material. It covers virtually all aspects of corrections, including its history, prisons in the present, correctional ideologies, sentencing and legal issues, alternatives to imprisonment, institutional corrections, and correctional clients. Freshly updated, this new edition includes research and issues important today, such as the recent decline in prison populations. Effective photos and figures provide a visual learning experience that presents complex data in a very simple and readable manner.
Table of Contents
Part 1 Historical Perspectives
Chapter 1 Early History (2000 B.C. to A.D. 1800)
Chapter 2 Prisons (1800 to the Present)
Chapter 3 Correctional Ideologies: The Pendulum Swings
Chapter 4 The Sentencing and Appeals Process
Part 2 Alternatives to Imprisonment
Chapter 5 Probation
Chapter 6 Diversion and Intermediate Sanctions
Part 3 Institutional Corrections
Chapter 7 Custody Functions
Chapter 8 Management and Treatment Functions
Chapter 9 Jails and Detention Facilities
Chapter 10 State and Local Prison Systems
Chapter 11 The Federal System
Chapter 12 Private-Sector Systems
Chapter 13 Parole and Reentry
Chapter 14 The Death Penalty
Part 4 Correctional Clients
Chapter 15 Inmate and Ex-Offender Rights
Chapter 16 Male Offenders
Chapter 17 Female Offenders
Chapter 18 Juvenile Offenders
Chapter 19 Special-Category Offenders
Format: Alternate Binding
This title is currently unavailable on myPearsonStore.
We recommend Corrections in America: An Introduction, 14th Edition as a replacement.
Digital Choices ?
MyLab & Mastering with Pearson eText is a complete digital substitute for a print value pack at a lower price.
With VitalSource eTextbooks, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Access your course materials on iPad, Android and Kindle devices with VitalSource Bookshelf, the textbook e-reader that helps you read, study and learn brilliantly. Features include:
- See all of your eTextbooks at a glance and access them instantly anywhere, anytime from your Bookshelf - no backpack required.
- Multiple ways to move between pages and sections including linked Table of Contents and Search make navigating eTextbooks a snap.
- Highlight text with one click in your choice of colors. Add notes to highlighted passages. Even subscribe to your classmates' and instructors' highlights and notes to view in your book.
- Scale images and text to any size with multi-level zoom without losing page clarity. Customize your page display and reading experience to create a personal learning experience that best suits you.
- Print only the pages you need within limits set by publisher
- Supports course materials that include rich media and interactivity like videos and quizzes
- Easily copy/paste text passages for homework and papers
- Supports assistive technologies for accessibility by vision and hearing impaired users