This comprehensive text offers a balanced presentation with a modern approach to the court system in America.
Courts and Criminal Justice in America, 2e, is the collaboration of the most popular criminal justice authors of the century. Featuring a balanced and modern presentation, this book not only looks at the basic structure of the court system and court process, but also covers the recent trends and controversial issues facing courts today. This student-friendly text does not presuppose any knowledge about the courts or how they operate. Highlighted, controversial cases illustrate the tremendous power that the court system has to regulate citizens' lives, to shape what is acceptable and what is forbidden, and to ensure that criminal justice policy balances both rights and liberties. This respected author team delivers the most comprehensive introduction to America's courts on the market today.
Teaching and Learning Experience
The book gives a comprehensive look at the courts, their personnel and the context in which they operate. It provides:
- A balanced presentation: Includes all sides of the most controversial issues facing courts today
- Modern approach: Covers a wide range of topics and recent trends in the field that stir controversy and enliven discussion as they relate to the courts
- Comprehensive, up-to-date coverage: Timely, extensive coverage presupposes no prior knowledge
- Strong pedagogical features: Gives students the tools to master key concepts faster and more effectively
Table of Contents
PART I: FOUNDATIONS
CHAPTER 1: Legal Foundations
CHAPTER 2: Who Controls the Courts?
PART II: TYPES OF COURTS
CHAPTER 3: Federal Courts
CHAPTER 4: State Courts
CHAPTER 5: Juvenile Courts
CHAPTER 6: Specialized Courts
PART III: THE PEOPLE INVOLVED
CHAPTER 7: Judges
CHAPTER 8: Prosecutors
CHAPTER 9: Defense Attorneys
CHAPTER 10: Defendants and Victims: Their Roles and Rights
PART IV: THE COURT PROCESS
CHAPTER 11: Arrest and Beyond
CHAPTER 12: Plea Bargaining and Guilty Pleas
CHAPTER 13: The Jury and the Trial
CHAPTER 14: Sentencing, Appeals, and Habeas Corpus
PART V: CURRENT ISSUES AND THE FUTURE OF COURTS
CHAPTER 15: Differential Treatment and Wrongful Convictions
CHAPTER 16: Technology, Alternatives, and the Future
These online resources are available at no cost.
Student Resource Website for Courts and Criminal Justice in America, 2nd Edition
This title is also sold in the various packages listed below. Before purchasing one of these packages, speak with your professor about which one will help you be successful in your course.
Package ISBN-13: 9780133955781
Includes this title packaged with:
- Crisis Intervention: The Criminal Justice Response to Chaos, Mayhem, and Disorder
William M. Harmening
- Police Field Operations: Theory Meets Practice, 2nd Edition
Michael Birzer, Cliff Roberson
- Criminal Justice Today: An Introductory Text for the 21st Century Plus MyCJLab with Pearson eText -- Access Card Package, 13th Edition
Frank J. Schmalleger
- Criminalistics: An Introduction to Forensic Science Plus MyCJLab with Pearson eText -- Access Code Package, 11th Edition
- Criminal Procedure: From First Contact to Appeal Plus MyCJLab with Pearson eText -- Access Card Package, 5th Edition
John L. Worrall
- Homeland Security
Larry K. Gaines, Victor E. Kappeler
- Criminal Investigation: The Art and the Science, 7th Edition
Michael D. Lyman
$1,340.33 | Add to Cart
Digital Choices ?
MyLab & Mastering with Pearson eText is a complete digital substitute for a print value pack at a lower price.
With CourseSmart eTextbooks and eResources, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Once you have purchased your eTextbooks and added them to your CourseSmart bookshelf, you can access them anytime, anywhere.
$75.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-13-346001-8