This comprehensive text offers a balanced presentation with a modern approach to the court system in America.
Courts and Criminal Justice in America, 2e, is the collaboration of the most popular criminal justice authors of the century. Featuring a balanced and modern presentation, this book not only looks at the basic structure of the court system and court process, but also covers the recent trends and controversial issues facing courts today. This student-friendly text does not presuppose any knowledge about the courts or how they operate. Highlighted, controversial cases illustrate the tremendous power that the court system has to regulate citizens' lives, to shape what is acceptable and what is forbidden, and to ensure that criminal justice policy balances both rights and liberties. This respected author team delivers the most comprehensive introduction to America's courts on the market today.
Teaching and Learning Experience
The book gives a comprehensive look at the courts, their personnel and the context in which they operate. It provides:
- A balanced presentation: Includes all sides of the most controversial issues facing courts today
- Modern approach: Covers a wide range of topics and recent trends in the field that stir controversy and enliven discussion as they relate to the courts
- Comprehensive, up-to-date coverage: Timely, extensive coverage presupposes no prior knowledge
- Strong pedagogical features: Gives students the tools to master key concepts faster and more effectively
Table of Contents
PART I: FOUNDATIONS
CHAPTER 1: Legal Foundations
CHAPTER 2: Who Controls the Courts?
PART II: TYPES OF COURTS
CHAPTER 3: Federal Courts
CHAPTER 4: State Courts
CHAPTER 5: Juvenile Courts
CHAPTER 6: Specialized Courts
PART III: THE PEOPLE INVOLVED
CHAPTER 7: Judges
CHAPTER 8: Prosecutors
CHAPTER 9: Defense Attorneys
CHAPTER 10: Defendants and Victims: Their Roles and Rights
PART IV: THE COURT PROCESS
CHAPTER 11: Arrest and Beyond
CHAPTER 12: Plea Bargaining and Guilty Pleas
CHAPTER 13: The Jury and the Trial
CHAPTER 14: Sentencing, Appeals, and Habeas Corpus
PART V: CURRENT ISSUES AND THE FUTURE OF COURTS
CHAPTER 15: Differential Treatment and Wrongful Convictions
CHAPTER 16: Technology, Alternatives, and the Future
These online resources are available at no cost.
Student Resource Website for Courts and Criminal Justice in America, 2nd Edition
Digital Choices ?
MyLab & Mastering with Pearson eText is a complete digital substitute for a print value pack at a lower price.
With VitalSource eTextbooks, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Access your course materials on iPad, Android and Kindle devices with VitalSource Bookshelf, the textbook e-reader that helps you read, study and learn brilliantly. Features include:
- See all of your eTextbooks at a glance and access them instantly anywhere, anytime from your Bookshelf - no backpack required.
- Multiple ways to move between pages and sections including linked Table of Contents and Search make navigating eTextbooks a snap.
- Highlight text with one click in your choice of colors. Add notes to highlighted passages. Even subscribe to your classmates' and instructors' highlights and notes to view in your book.
- Scale images and text to any size with multi-level zoom without losing page clarity. Customize your page display and reading experience to create a personal learning experience that best suits you.
- Print only the pages you need within limits set by publisher
- Supports course materials that include rich media and interactivity like videos and quizzes
- Easily copy/paste text passages for homework and papers
- Supports assistive technologies for accessibility by vision and hearing impaired users
$79.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-13-346003-2