The Eighth Edition of this authoritative, best-selling resource from distinguished author Tom Gunning gives aspiring and practicing teachers the help they need to become highly effective teachers—so that their students become proficient readers and writers well on their way to preparing for college and careers. Drawing on landmark research that focuses on highly effective practices, such as setting goals, monitoring progress, and teaching strategies, Gunning’s Teaching Literacy Strategies for All Students is packed with step-by-step guidance for teaching reading and writing, including 30 sample lessons that cover virtually every major literacy skill and strategy, incorporating the key elements of effective assessment and instruction. The book emphasizes how to adapt instruction for struggling readers and writers, English language learners, and special needs students; stresses effective steps teachers can use to implement Response to Intervention; and familiarizes teachers with the reading and writing requirements stemming from the widely-adopted Common Core State Standards.
Table of Contents
1 The Nature of Literacy
2 Teaching All Students
3 Assessing for Learning
4 Fostering Emergent/Early Literacy
5 Teaching Phonics, High-Frequency Words, Fluency, and Syllabic Analysis
6 Building Vocabulary
7 Comprehension: Theory and Strategies
8 Comprehension: Text Structures and Teaching Procedures
9 Reading and Writing in the Content Areas and Study Skills
10 Reading Literature
11 Approaches to Teaching Reading
12 Writing and Reading
13 Creating and Managing a Literacy Program
This title is currently unavailable on myPearsonStore.
We recommend Creating Literacy Instruction for All Students, Enhanced Pearson eText with Loose-Leaf Version -- Access Card Package, 9th Edition as a replacement.
Digital Choices ?
MyLab & Mastering with Pearson eText is a complete digital substitute for a print value pack at a lower price.
With VitalSource eTextbooks, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Access your course materials on iPad, Android and Kindle devices with VitalSource Bookshelf, the textbook e-reader that helps you read, study and learn brilliantly. Features include:
- See all of your eTextbooks at a glance and access them instantly anywhere, anytime from your Bookshelf - no backpack required.
- Multiple ways to move between pages and sections including linked Table of Contents and Search make navigating eTextbooks a snap.
- Highlight text with one click in your choice of colors. Add notes to highlighted passages. Even subscribe to your classmates' and instructors' highlights and notes to view in your book.
- Scale images and text to any size with multi-level zoom without losing page clarity. Customize your page display and reading experience to create a personal learning experience that best suits you.
- Print only the pages you need within limits set by publisher
- Supports course materials that include rich media and interactivity like videos and quizzes
- Easily copy/paste text passages for homework and papers
- Supports assistive technologies for accessibility by vision and hearing impaired users