This comprehensive, straightforward text introduces readers to the many methods of crime control and reviews the research concerning their effectiveness with a fair and balanced approach.
Crime Control in America: What Works?, 3e, provides in-depth coverage of policing, prosecution and courts, and legislative methods of crime control. It moves beyond the justice system and examines the effectiveness of crime control at the individual, family, school, and community levels. Finally, it covers environmental criminology and explanations of large-scale crime trends, particularly the reductions witnessed during the 1990s.
Unlike others on the market, this book also examines crime control that is informal in nature, one that does not rely on involvement by the criminal justice system or other forms of government intervention. Worrall presents a comprehensive view of crime control in America while maintaining a neutral ideological stance. Unlike most of the competition, this straightforward, student-friendly text does not presuppose any knowledge of the criminal justice system. This book is geared specifically toward undergraduate students of any major, including community college students. The book covers more methods of crime control than any of its competitors, and all the most controversial and current approaches are discussed in-depth.
Teaching and Learning Experience
This book offers a current look at crime control and its effectiveness, examining emerging areas in the field. It provides:
- Comprehensive, up-to-date coverage with unique content: Exposes students to a wide range of methods of crime control in America
- Extensive look at the effectiveness of crime control approaches: Reviews the research concerning crime control effectiveness and presents a thorough analysis of what works/doesn't work to control crime
- Strong pedagogical features: Gives students the tools to master key concepts faster and more effectively, and provides support for instructors
Table of Contents
1. Identifying and Evaluating Crime Control
2. Crime Control Perspectives
II. LAW ENFORCEMENT APPROACHES
3. Traditional Policing
4. Proactive Policing, Directed Patrol and other Advancements
5. Community Involvement in Policing
6. Prosecutors and Crime Control
III. COURTS, CORRECTIONS, AND LEGISLATIVE APPROACHES
7. Crime Control Though Legislation
8. Crime Control in the Courts and Beyond
10. Probation, Parole, and Intermediate Sanctions
11. Rehabilitation, Treatment, and Job Training
IV. APPROACHES BEYOND THE CRIMINAL JUSTICE SYSTEM
12. Individual, Family, and Household Crime Control
13. Crime Control in the Community and in Schools
14. Reducing Criminal Opportunities through Environmental Manipulation
15. Putting it all Together, Explaining Crime Trends
Digital Choices ?
MyLab & Mastering with Pearson eText is a complete digital substitute for a print value pack at a lower price.
With VitalSource eTextbooks, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Access your course materials on iPad, Android and Kindle devices with VitalSource Bookshelf, the textbook e-reader that helps you read, study and learn brilliantly. Features include:
- See all of your eTextbooks at a glance and access them instantly anywhere, anytime from your Bookshelf - no backpack required.
- Multiple ways to move between pages and sections including linked Table of Contents and Search make navigating eTextbooks a snap.
- Highlight text with one click in your choice of colors. Add notes to highlighted passages. Even subscribe to your classmates' and instructors' highlights and notes to view in your book.
- Scale images and text to any size with multi-level zoom without losing page clarity. Customize your page display and reading experience to create a personal learning experience that best suits you.
- Print only the pages you need within limits set by publisher
- Supports course materials that include rich media and interactivity like videos and quizzes
- Easily copy/paste text passages for homework and papers
- Supports assistive technologies for accessibility by vision and hearing impaired users
$39.99 | ISBN-13: 978-0-13-351031-7