Criminal Investigation: A Brief Introduction is written in an innovative “brief” format, making it more easily understood by students and more user-friendly for instructors. It presents crime detection as a field that relies heavily on past experiences of investigators as well as recent practical, forensic, and technological innovations. This new text blends scientific theories of crime detection with a practical approach to criminal investigation and follows the belief that sound criminal investigations depend understanding the science of crime detection procedures and the art of anticipating human behavior.
Table of Contents
PART I FUNDAMENTALS OF CRIMINAL INVESTIGATION
Chapter 1 Foundations of Criminal Investigation
Chapter 2 The Crime Scene: Field Notes, Documenting, and Reporting
Chapter 3 Processing the Crime Scene
PART II FOLLOW-UP INVESTIGATIVE PROCESSES
Chapter 4 Identification of Criminal Suspects: Field and Laboratory Processes
Chapter 5 Legal Issues in Criminal Investigation
PART III OBTAINING INFORMATION
Chapter 6 Interviews and Interrogations
Chapter 7 Criminal Intelligence and Surveillance Operations
Chapter 8 Management of Informants and Undercover Operations
PART IV CRIMES AGAINST PERSONS
Chapter 9 Death Investigations
Chapter 10 Robbery
Chapter 11 Assault and Related Offenses
Chapter 12 Missing and Abducted Persons
Chapter 13 Crimes against Children: Child Abuse and Child Fatalities
PART V CRIMES AGAINST PROPERTY
Chapter 14 Theft-Related Offenses
Chapter 15 Arson, Bombings, and Terrorism
PART VI TERRORISM
Chapter 16 Terrorism and National Security Crimes
This title is also sold in the various packages listed below. Before purchasing one of these packages, speak with your professor about which one will help you be successful in your course.
Package ISBN-13: 9780134385952
Includes this title packaged with:
- Community Policing and Problem Solving: Strategies and Practices, 6th Edition
Ken Peak, Ronald W. Glensor
- Policing America: Challenges and Best Practices, Student Value Edition, 8th Edition
- Criminal Procedure: From First Contact to Appeal, Student Value Edition, 5th Edition
John L. Worrall
- Criminalistics: An Introduction to Forensic Science, Student Value Edition, 11th Edition
$643.80 $616.44 | Add to Cart
This title is out of stock.
We recommend Criminal Investigation (Justice Series), 2nd Edition as a replacement.
Digital Choices ?
MyLab & Mastering with Pearson eText is a complete digital substitute for a print value pack at a lower price.
With VitalSource eTextbooks, you save up to 60% off the price of new print textbooks, and can switch between studying online or offline to suit your needs.
Access your course materials on iPad, Android and Kindle devices with VitalSource Bookshelf, the textbook e-reader that helps you read, study and learn brilliantly. Features include:
- See all of your eTextbooks at a glance and access them instantly anywhere, anytime from your Bookshelf - no backpack required.
- Multiple ways to move between pages and sections including linked Table of Contents and Search make navigating eTextbooks a snap.
- Highlight text with one click in your choice of colors. Add notes to highlighted passages. Even subscribe to your classmates' and instructors' highlights and notes to view in your book.
- Scale images and text to any size with multi-level zoom without losing page clarity. Customize your page display and reading experience to create a personal learning experience that best suits you.
- Print only the pages you need within limits set by publisher
- Supports course materials that include rich media and interactivity like videos and quizzes
- Easily copy/paste text passages for homework and papers
- Supports assistive technologies for accessibility by vision and hearing impaired users